1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Easy top 10 of all time for me.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty solidly in the anti-smoking camp, but the conflict at CBS made the movie for me. The deposition scene where the Mississippi lawyer dresses down the tobacco lawyer was priceless, as were the arguments between Pacino's character, Mike Wallace and the CBS executives.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Working my way through the Firefly DVD set.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Saw a couple over the last few days:

"Hot Tub Time Machine" - Dreck, but one thumbs up because when they went back in time and changed history, Elways pass to Mark Jackson is incomplete. No "Drive" and the Browns go to the Super Bowl. Woo-hoo!

"Antwoine Fisher" - Damn solid flick, and a tear-jerker down the homestretch. Purely serpendipitous find. I had the TV on while working, and it came on. The later it got in the movie, the less work got done.

"The Bounty Hunter" - Seriously meh. Started the movie four times and fell asleep each time before I was able to watch all the way thru on lucky No. 5. Bottom line: Aniston's great to look at, but no great shakes as an actor. Butler was his usual "okay." Writing suuuuuuucked. A comedy with very few laughs.

I've got "Avatar" lined up for tonite, meaning only three people in Harumph, Nev., will not have seen it now.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Yeah, but to be fair, both Bill Williams and Connie Tailorson haven't seen a movie since the late 90's and Abigail Turbledime hates James Cameron so you're essentially the last one. :)

6. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Watched The Girl Who Plays with Fire. Loved it. Can't wait for the final film. One thing I liked was that the film seemed to stick pretty closely to the book. Loved it in print, and loved it again on the screen.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It did no such thing.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Watched Spy Game this morning. Still pretty solid.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

300. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm late to the party. Loved it, though.

10. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Maybe I'm a little slow. Obviously the book, at 600 pages, was way more detailed than the film, but I thought the general plot stuck closely with the book. What differences did you notice?
    No movie and book are completely parallel, but I thought these two were pretty close. Not like the first Bourne film and book where pretty much the only things similar are the name Jason Bourne and the memory loss.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The attempted plot by the bikers to kidnap Lisbeth near her "old" apartment was axed. It was key because later on in the story because that's how Blomkvist comes to be in possession of her mailbox keys which leads him to her "new" apartment. In the film, Blomkvist comes into possession of Lisbeth's keys when Lisbeth forgets her bag during a secret hospital visit to see Mariam Wu.

In the film Lisbeth did not visit the couple who were murdered. Huge plot change there.

The fight scene between the giant, boxer and Wu in the warehouse was changed a lot. I must also say the giant in the film is nothing like the one in the book.

Lisbeth held up the car rental clerk in the book only to get information. She did not steal a car from the business. She took one from the Milton Security car pool after hacking an existing employee account.

I thought Lisbeth defusing her apartment booby trap when she saw Blomkvist there was also lame. In the book, she does no such thing. She was pleasantly surprised when he figured it out on his own in the book, but had no intention of helping him because she doesn't really operate in that manner.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Watched "The Wedding Date" on TV again tonite. I'm not a Debra Messing fan, but I think I've got a serious crush on Sarah Parish, who plays the cousin "TJ." She's... um, well... "earthy," as I think the Brits put it, and has all the best lines of the movie:

"Hello, arsehole!"

"Who's going to buy my hoo-ha a drink!?"

"Darling, why spend anymore time on that horse's ass when Mr. Tie-Me-Up-Tie-Me-Down is standing right over there?"

and, the most memorable, when Dermot Mulroney winks at them from across the room...

"Oh God, I think I've just come."

Killick posted this. For some reason, quote function still isn't working for me. Just wanted to say he nailed it on this. Not a great movie. Not even one I would sit down and watch from beginning to end. But Parish was great in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted