1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Stillwater, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by cowboy2001, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd say all of them. Stephens (the former Donrey) owns no Oklahoma papers other than papers whose circulation laps over into Oklahoma, such as Fort Smith.

Not only Oklahoma, but Texas as well.

2. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Any idea what this job pays?

/WARNING, RANT AHEAD/

I fully realize (and have experienced for years) that reporting jobs at newspapers aren't making people rich, and I understand that salary is partially based on experience and all that. But hardly any of these job postings ever give any kind of indication how much they're paying.

I don't need a specific number, I just want a general range that's going to give me some clue as to whether I'm going to be able to make more money at this job than my current one. It's very irritating, considering it's the main thing I want to know about any job.

Is this an unreasonable request? It's kind of hard to know if I'm interested in applying for a job when I don't know anything about the compensation.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This has long been a complaint of mine with job ads.

A general range (and a statement about if/how negotiable things are, and based on what) would be so helpful. And you're right. It's one of the first/main questions anyone is likely to have about any job, and I've never understood the big taboo about addressing it. It would save everyone a lot of time.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Given that it's CNHi, here's your general pay range:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

That's not a million miles off. I seem to remember being told previously CNHI wouldn't offer more than $20K.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. nate41

nate41 Member

Got an email from Scott saying the position had been filled but they'd keep my stuff on record.

It's nice to hear back, since I rarely hear back from anywhere.

7. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

Got the same e-mail. I thought that was a nice thing to do.

8. 5RunHomer

5RunHomer New Member

Got that e-mail too. Glad to see not everyone has lost the fine art of decency in the hiring process.

9. Elmwood44

Elmwood44 New Member

This position has been opened YET AGAIN: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1186245 .... Anybody have any insight into what this one is about (fired or quit) and how the "new" SE (I.C. Murrell) handles things there?

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Awesome. Went to their website just to look around. Clicked on the "High School Sports" link and up pops an full-screen ad for a Ford dealer that was
    THIS OBNOXIOUS!

11. ArnoldPalmer

ArnoldPalmer New Member

That should be a good thing for them. Means they are getting some ad revenue from it.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

But are people paying attention to it, or clicking it off so they can see the story they went to see in the first place? If it's the latter, it's not wise spending by the Ford dealer.

Draft saved Draft deleted