1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Maryville, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You hired him after he was at another gig for only a month? Wow.

2. Elmwood44

Elmwood44 New Member

Anybody know if they are going to go with previous candidates first (since it was only a few months since they last went through the process)?

3. Tarheel316

Maybe they'll get someone who won't dump on them after three weeks.

4. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Are you kidding, man? In this day and age, if you get a chance to move up the ladder in this business, you take it, because it might never come again. Bad timing be damned.

No doubt, it sucks for Maryville, but I'm sure they also have a stack of resumes of folks who will be thrilled to get another crack at this job.

You can't begrudge someone for looking out for No. 1 the way things are right now and for the foreseeable future.

5. Tarheel316

No doubt Marysville will get a stack of applications. Every job does. I understand too about looking out for No. 1. But it's bullshit to walk out on a gig after three weeks. Especially his very first gig. If he got hired that quickly by the other paper, it would seem the interviewing process would have been ongoing. So why accept the Marysville gig in the first place? Perhaps he'll stay a little longer at the new gig. If his resume ever crosses my desk, I'll toss it. Quickly.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Our sister paper went through three sports editors in school year two years ago. First one was fired, second one got homesick in less than a month and the third one lasted from the last week of basketball to a week before state track.

The managing editor's son had been doing so much of the writing in the interim periods that they just decided to give him the job (but call him a "sports writer" instead of a "sports editor" so they can pay him less).

7. Tarheel316

Sounds like a pretty rough situation, Apeman.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I was going over to fill in on their weekend edition for a while. They did the best they could with freelancers and there were two former sports editors who had retired willing to write football stories and they had a photographer who could also do a decent basketball write-up. But, yeah, it was rough.

9. Simon

Simon Active Member

Looks like Joey Falkoff started yesterday.

Bio here: http://www.maryvilledailyforum.com/features/x2064143360/Falkoff-joins-staff-as-sports-editor

Draft saved Draft deleted