1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing/Grammar Checkers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by robertobajo, Jul 14, 2010.

1. robertobajo

robertobajo New Member

I'm looking to introduce an enhanced grammar/spell checker into my best practices before publishing.

I'd like to use one that I can access from a number of PCs and/or is web-based for that reason.

I've seen WhiteSmoke and WriteRight but wanted to get some feedback prior to purchasing.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wouldn't buy one. Nothing is better than your own eyes.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hire a copy editor.

4. CR19

CR19 Member

Exactly. It may not be a bad idea to take a NewsU revision course.

5. robertobajo

robertobajo New Member

Wanted to and was turned down....

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you're working at a paper, quit and then they can hire someone who can write.

7. robertobajo

robertobajo New Member

Nice, really positive approach.

I've been test driving WhiteSmoke and have been impressed.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm just being a realist. This a human-based business. If you can't write or can't check your work, you don't deserve to be in it. Computers can only do so much.

9. robertobajo

robertobajo New Member

Yeah, we should still use typewriters and typesetting machines, too. Let's forego computers, spell checkers, AP Stylebooks and all tools that might help a writer.

Or I suspect that they also "can't write, or can't check their work."

Get off your high horse. You don't know all.

10. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Spell checkers don't help writers, they hinder them. Because you can spell something correctly and still be wrong. It prevents people from actually proofreading their work, from actually reading how the story flows.

Computers, AP Stylebooks, yes, they improved our business. Spell checkers and grammar tools have made us lazy. It's okay to use them, but they should be just the first step in the review process.

11. robertobajo

robertobajo New Member

I never minimized the importance of self-editing and--just as important--having someone else proof before submitting. This is just a tool to get from point A to B.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Spell-checker is a crutch. Nothing reeks of laziness quite like a story with a "form" instead of a "from" written by a writer who thought their copy was clean because the spell checker said it was. Weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted