1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today vs. the day of the week for that paper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Daniel Shirley, Jul 14, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They made us swtch to days of week for online purposes.

But oftentimes we have a half-column pf space (paper is a 9-column grid, which in effect is a 4 1/2-column grid) in which to put something (schedule of games, breakout box, quote, etc.).

A "Wednesday's games" headline in 5 picas just does not work. And I will not break "Wednesday" oer into two lines. Or "Saturday:.

So sometimes I cheat and say "Today"

2. Ace, you're right on and about the curveball, too. No way will I let him throw one before then. His arm just isn't ready.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We've always been today for today, but never tomorrow or yesterday. A few months ago, because of the Web, they made us change to the actual day Monday, Tuesday, etc. in all references.
    There was a lot of grumbling and then they said it was OK to use TODAY in standing heads and labels. Hell, our sports page 2 is named TODAY and has all the listings and calendars.
    It lasted about a week and it wasn't even the sports guys who complained the most. It was the entertainment people who do calendar listings, etc. They changed it back to the real newspaper way.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

If you have any kind of website, just let this one go. It's the way of the, well, not future. The way of now.

Presumably, people can read you from all over the world, and for them, it might not be today. And if they read it online Friday and it happened Thursday, it's not today, either.

Day of the week clears up an misconceptions. It happened on that day in the place where it, er, happened.

(I make my living with words.)

Draft saved Draft deleted