1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today vs. the day of the week for that paper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Daniel Shirley, Jul 14, 2010.

1. What do you guys style-wise with the days of the week, today, etc?
    Throughout my nearly 20 years in the business, we've used "today" for that day's paper. Ex: today's games for the Friday games in Friday's paper.
    That's not AP style, but it's the way every paper I've worked at has done it.
    Now we're switching to just using the days of the week, so it would be Friday's games in Friday's paper. Just wondered what everyone else does.
    I'm not going to make a big issue over it or try to fight it (again, been in the business long enough to know when to pick my fights).

On a side topic, I've noticed when we go north to visit my wife's family, a lot of the papers use tomorrow or yesterday. I had never seen that in the South.

2. CR19

CR19 Member

You could go either way. Personally, I use the actual days of the week since I'm at a weekly. However, if you're writing for a daily, today and tomorrow would make sense.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think more papers are switching to the day of the week -- mainly to be less confusing online.

4. Yeah, that's the reasoning, I think. But it's going to be confusing in the section when it's been done one way for so many years. Not worth a battle, but I told our news editor if he tries to make me us RBIs or say Heat, Tide is (it's ARE), we're going to have problems. haha.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, I like RBIs and think singular team names should be singular. So it would be a throwdown!

6. Indeed. Haha. Guess that proves the point that it's not worth fighting about. If two people as intelligent as we are can disagree on it ...

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Shirley, you must be joking.

8. I never joke, and don't call me Shirley, Hahaha.
    But I think my point now is I was going to speak up about this but it's not even worth it. MUCH more important things to worry about, like teaching my son to throw a curveball.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

If your son in younger than 12, do not teach hm to throw a curveball. Teach him a change up. No strain on the elbow and Little League age kids can't come close to hitting it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

These are really just issues of the paper's style. Reasonable people can disagree, but in the end you need to be consistent.

And don't teach your kid a curveball before he's 12.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, with copy going online, it's much more important to use the day of the week. It's easy to figure out which day's paper you're holding, but it can be quite a bit trickier to figure out which day a story was posted to a website. Usually, it's in tiny font somewhere, and it's never in the same place from site to site.

Not to mention you might have a story that appears in Friday's paper but gets posted to the website at 11 on Thursday night.

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

We've gone to the day of the week online, but still use yesterday, today and tomorrow in print. We print three days a week. For calendar listings (car shows, golf outings, etc.), we use dates only.

I think, eventually, we'll use the day of the week in print, too. It's so damned confusing to go back and forth.

Draft saved Draft deleted