1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Evans passes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Dick Evans, an award winning writer for both The Miami Herald and Daytona Beach News-Journal, died Sunday, July 4th, at the age of 78.

He was the youngest of three Evans brothers to write for The Miami Herald from 1937 to Dick Evans decided to retire a second time in 2009 after receiving checks from The Miami Herald for 60 years.

http://www.bowlingdigital.com/bowl/node/8384

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I actually worked with Dick on the desk back in the early 1980s -- as with many Herald writers, he sometimes did that in addition to writing -- and while I wasn't exactly in his social circle, he was a nice man and a true good-old-days professional. Sorry to hear this.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A nice man. At his first retirement, they had a ceremony in the newsroom and he unwrapped the "big" gift and it was a toy plane, meant to signify some sort of elaborate airline ticket package--I think it may have been a one-year pass within the U.S,, something expensive like that. But his look of puzzlement was priceless: Four decades at the paper and they give me a $5 toy?

He once called in and asked if we could ship his bowling column to the K-R wire before we cut it in half, not after.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Never met him, but dealt with him plenty during my time at 1 Herald Plaza. Very nice and to easy to work with. And that is a classic line, F_R.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm almost positive Dick Evans was responsible for the best deadline headline I ever saw in my entire life, which I've probably mentioned on here five times. We were right up on the first edition (it wasn't State, it was the 4:30 one, which for the life of me I can't remember the name of) and we simply had to get the copy shipped and get the paper out. It was a one-column, 42-point head or something like that, and it was probably from the feature at Calder, and the colt that won was probably named Whatsamattayou. Headline:

Horse
    wins
    race

I'm 90 percent sure it was Dick.

7. AD

AD Active Member

SF: was that the clipper edition?

8. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

I worked many, many Early Desk shifts with Dickie. (Never worked with Luther, but got to meet him.) He was one of those classic old-school newspaper guys who was a great mixture of cantankerousness (cantankerosity?) and graciousness. He would have to break in each of us eager young know-it-alls as Early Desk guys, and he did it with a mixture of patience and amazement at how clueless most of us were (it wasn't an easy job).

Most of us eventually got better, and Dickie certainly deserves some credit for that. Heck, I vividly recall him telling me that Paul Anger was the worst early Desk guy he ever saw, and Paul seems to have recovered nicely.

Couple of asides: For Frank re: sending to K-R before cutting: That was a weekly request. And Akron did indeed run the long version, Chico.

And to SF, only to set the historical record straight, "Horse wins race" was mine. Of deadline desperation (and tough counts) are great headlines born.

Bottom line, RIP Dickie, you had a career to be proud of. Glad you're finally back together with Lee and Luther.

FOS

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

While I didn't agree with many of his views in the bowling world, at least he was able to put reasonable thought behind his opinions and back them up.

RIP to a legend in the bowling world. Pretty soon, there won't be any old-school bowling writers left.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Some more here.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/06/1716362/longtime-miami-herald-writer-dick.html#storylink=fbuser

Died of skin cancer. Wishes to be cremated with the ashes spread at 1 Herald Plaza.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, it was a classic, and certainly of that era...We'll say it was born of Dick's training on how and when to panic and leave it at that.

And yeah, Anger turned out OK...

Finally, no, that first edition wasn't the Clipper. Maybe the Street?

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, think about that: Except for two years during World War II, an Evans brother byline was in the paper every year from 1937 until 2010: 73 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted