1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Schad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by apseloser, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, I said I was.

It seems that was passes as great reporting now wouldn't have been printed in most papers a few years ago. Maybe that's good. Maybe not.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That's a good point.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Boy Cries Wolf! ≠ Wolf Invades Village!

Don't write it like they're the same.

4. Ask people around the Southeast, including SIDs and reporters, about Schad, and ... well I'll let you ask them if you want. The fact he was wrong on this story is nothing new.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed. And with the exception of this story, Joe Schad is in a place where Chip Brown would dream to be.

As Moddy said, Joe's a good guy. The vitriol towards him on this board has always stunned me.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wow. I would sure hate to be Joe Schad today. Hope he doesn't read this.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't know Joe Schad as well as Moddy or Mizzou, but he's always been a top-notch guy in my dealings with him. Very nice, very kind. I can't/won't speak to anything else.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tough spot for Joe, but I'd be curious how this went down today in Bristol. Chip has been way WAY out in front of this thing from the beginning, batting about .850 to .900. Then today, you've got your guy -- after a couple of weeks of minimal reporting/source breaking -- saying something the complete opposite of what Chip has. Did no one say before putting this thing on the crawl and on SportsCenter, "Wait, are we SURE about this? It's the complete opposite of the guy who has owned this story." I've been there on big-time stories like this. Won a lot, lost a couple. And was involved, albeit not in a huge way, but involved, in one of the bigger stories last decade. And you learn to ask LOTS of questions and make sure you really REALLY have it.

9. RT @ChipBrownOB Got bumped off College Football Live today because the producer said, "Joe Schad is now reporting what you're reporting."

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I think Joe proved, unequivocally, he had no idea what he was talking about, at least on this issue.

But I don't know if it's necessarily right for us to be calling him out on this. A lot of people were wrong.

Besides, I wrote a terrible story today out here in Podunk, so I'm not going to cast stones.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

With stories like this, I can see where it would be easy to get caught on the wrong side. There were so many moving parts that the story seemed to be changing by the hour if not by the minute. I would guess someone told Schad, "You sure about this. Orangebloods has the exact opposite." At the same time, I'm sure Schad thought his sources were as solid as Chip Brown thought his were. If Schad didn't, I can't see him going with it, or ESPN letting him. Schad reported and he got it wrong. And maybe it's not the first time. But I'm going to bet there are plenty of people casting stones who would've done the same thing in his shoes Monday.

What baffles me is that, if ABC/ESPN people were involved in negotiating the deal that saved the Big 12, as has been suggested, how the hell did someone involved in that not clue their own people in on it? Shouldn't someone have let Schad or someone else know there was a deal that might be in the works and that people who work for the SAME DAMN COMPANY HE DOES might be helping it out?

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Um, no, not by a long shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted