1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lead Sports Designer, The Boston Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by The Shrubberer, May 5, 2010.

1. The Shrubberer

The Shrubberer New Member

We're looking for a lead designer for one of the best sports sections in the country. We're seeking a designer who loves the mix of high-impact fronts with smart, information-rich details. You'll work hard in an easy-going, collaborative environment and design both daily section fronts and the many special sections we produce each year. You'll also have the chance to design online projects. And of course, you'll be working in a city with a history of great teams and passionate fans. If you're interested and have at least five years experience, send a resume and samples to Dan Zedek at d_zedek@globe.com.

2. Maybe a move veteran newsroom person can fill me in on why a high-profile design job at such a large paper even needs to be advertised.

I would imagine the Boston Globe's other designers have a ton of experience and wouldn't be there if they weren't good enough to be lead designers at other large papers. So is it that they just don't want someone already in there to have the job for some specific reason (lack of leadership skills, attitude problem), that there's some company rule it must be posted publicly or that they're likely to promote from within but just wanted to see what kind of talent they might get (possibly to offer that person the job opened by an internal promotion)?

I mean, there's probably already someone there who does this job 2-3 times a week when the lead designer is off, right?

I'll now open the floor to those of you who would like to kindly call me a dolt.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How many great designers have been pushed out the door in recent years? Maybe they have given up on the business and haven't had their ear to the grapevine anymore for openings. If you don't advertise, you don't find those people.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. I know someone who would be fantastic in this job (and used to work for the EIC). Alas, that person is happy now -- and would prefer not to work nights again, a nice luxury to have.

5. Good point. I suppose my next question would be what do you think the odds are they will hire from inside and then offer that person's position to the best applicant down the road? It seems like it would just be so much easier to move up someone already in house who you know can do it well and hire a lower position. That's why I've always figured these are part of the company plan to post all jobs.

I've never asked for the details, but I got the job I'm in now when I applied for a different position here. They hired someone from inside but called me back down the road to interview for a different position.

6. Jeff Wendt

Jeff Wendt New Member

Congrats goes out to my Arizona Republic colleague Luke Knox, who got this grat gig.

7. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Indeed, Globe got a good one in Luke.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I've always liked Knox's work. Great hire.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Apparently, the guy Knox is replacing recently left for the WaPo. Pretty good crop of sports designers in DC now.

10. Luke_Knox

Luke_Knox New Member

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. Just wanted to mention that the Republic will be looking to hire an experienced designer to replace me here. Message me if you have any questions about it ... can't say enough about the staff in Phoenix, not to mention the sports market you would be covering. Here's the details, from the ad on SND's site:

Sports designer, Phoenix

Job description: We're looking for a designer with strong InDesign and Photoshop skills, great vision and organizational skills, with a minimum of 2-3 years experience ready to step in and be the lead sports designer at The Arizona Republic. Phoenix has all of the major sports, in addition to major events like the BCS and Fiesta bowls, the 2011 MLB All-Star Game and the NCAA Tournament. Anyone interested should contact Tracy Collins, senior director of operations and visuals, at tracy.collins@arizonarepublic.com.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Congrats Luke, and welcome to Massachusetts. You're gonna love the Bay State. Just keep your sanity and don't move to The People's Republic of Cambridge.

12. nate41

nate41 Member

Beware the Orange Line.

No, but seriously, Boston is a great city and I've come away very impressed with Joe Sullivan in the few dealings I've had with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted