1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you intern?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The Preston, Idaho Citizen ... no, I did not cover any of Uncle Rico's games

2. WTH!

WTH! New Member

I interned at WDVE in Pittsburgh back in the late 1970s...my 'job' was to go to concerts and get promos for the radio station. They gave me one of those old cassette recorders a stage pass and turned me loose. I was 17 at the time; stories? Oh hell yeah I got a few...

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Nowhere. That's why I've gone so far in this business.

4. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I interned at the Legislative Gazette in Albany. Spent a summer at the Syracuse Newspapers, which I landed through a temp agency. Couldn't have asked for a better summer job.

5. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

the birmingham news...fun work, great people...

6. The Los Angeles Times. Boy, has it been downhill from there. ;)

7. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

The (Middletown, N.Y.) Times Herald Record, covering g.a. news out of the Monticello bureau. It was my first and only internship, taken AFTER my senior year. A couple of months later I landed at USAT (albeit on the agate desk). All in all, not bad.

8. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

The Richmond News Leader (RIP), summer of 1988. Moddy showed me the ropes and took me to ... what was that place on Broad? Triples? That was a pretty good summer despite having to be at work at 6:30 a.m.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Triples, I believe, is a pool hall. So get your minds out of the gutter.
    Or maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else?

I miss The News Leader.

10. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

You're right. The first first place I interned was WTVR, the CBS affiliate in Richmond. I was there for six weeks during the summer before my senior year in high school (summer of 1984 or thereabouts) Triples was on the other side of Broad Street from the TV station, but it had some sort of grill/restaurant that the shooters ate at pretty regularly.

The RNL lunch hangout was the Red something ... Red Door? Red Tavern? And Perly's. Are either of those still around?

And, yeah, the RNL was a great place to intern. Every aspiring sports writer should be required to do a 7 a.m. phoner with the Late Model short track winner from the night before.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Door. And, yes, both are still open. About nothing else down there is but those are, or were when I last worked there.
    Third Street Diner still kicking, too.

12. floridasun

floridasun Member

Birmingham News and St. Augustine Record

Draft saved Draft deleted