1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Pittsburg (Kan.) Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NegativeVertical, May 23, 2010.

1. NegativeVertical

NegativeVertical New Member

The more I read into this, I believe it may be our opportunity to play with collages.

The (Pittsburg, Kan.) Morning Sun is accepting resumes for a full-time Sports Editor. We’re looking for someone who can dive into recreational, youth, high school and collegiate stories and isn’t afraid to ask questions. Online duties will be required. Coverage will include Pittsburg State University, a Division II university with a full complement of athletics as well as six area high schools and a myriad of youth and recreational sports. A bachelor’s degree in journalism or English, InDesign knowledge and AP Stylebook proficiency are preferred. Photoshop, as well as time on a desk or editing copy, are pluses. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to make a difference at a daily paper. Pittsburg, a city of 20,000, is in the southeast corner of Kansas and offers an excellent quality of life. We offer competitive salary and benefits. Send resumes, five editing/design clips and three references to Matthew Clark, Community Conversation Editor, The Morning Sun, 701 N. Locust St., Pittsburg, KS 66762, or e-mail PDF files only to matthew.clark@morningsun.net.

2. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

This probably used to be a lot better job than it is now, but that's probably true of every newspaper job these days.

As small college towns go, you can do a hell of a lot worse than Pittsburg, which has most everything you need on a daily basis and is only a couple hours from Kansas City. When I was growing up 20 minutes away, Pitt State was considered one of the top party schools in the nation for a short time, and I certainly did enough partying in one semester there to last a lifetime (and I feared it would've been a rather short lifetime if I had stayed there).

Pitt State was a perennial NCAA D-2 football title contender not too long ago, and could easily get back to that level. Football is the Gorillas' best sport, but they have some other solid programs, too.

Pittsburg High and Colgan, the private catholic school in town, both have solid athletics programs, and the football teams are particularly good. Colgan had a ridiculous winning streak a few years back. Other area schools such as Girard and Southeast have had pretty good teams in various sports over the years, too.

I've been gone from the area for five years, so I don't know how much things have changed at the paper, but they used to do a pretty solid job and have some good guys working there. And I don't recall them using many collages as main art. 8)

3. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Would this be a one-man sports department?

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Pittsburg covers a slew of high schools, along with Pitt State. It'd damn well better be a two-person shop.

That said, be prepared to drive to state tournaments every season -- you get to cover St. Mary's Colgan -- the best team money can buy.

5. esport12

esport12 Member

Last time I checked it was a two-person staff.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The page I used to play with collages got cut.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Any place that is precious enough to have a "Community Conversation Editor" makes me skeptical from the start.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I know him and I'm not sure even he knows what that title means.

The Morning Sun is a one-man gig now. In the past there were three. If any of you know Kary Booher, he got his start there.

The CCE was the sports editor before this one left and there are a couple of other guys who can write sports stories if it gets super busy. On a Friday night during football season, you'll have plenty of help. There's also a guy who strings for them who used to be a sports writer. You don't have to take your own pics.

And what Harley said about those long trips. Colgan is always going to state in something. But Class 2A state football is always in Hays and basketball is always in Manhattan. Class 2A baseball and softball are in Emporia, but even that's not a short drive.

One thing is that they cover the hell out of rec league ball for a town of its size. I've seen little league tournament games get huge front page spreads. Community journalism, ya know.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the pay scale might be? Sounds like a hell of a lot of work for $20-25g.

10. apeman33

It's Gatehouse. That should tell you.

11. Elmwood44

Elmwood44 New Member

Anybody hear if there's been any progress on this?

12. apeman33

Too easy....

Draft saved Draft deleted