1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Simmons going too far?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MidwestSportsGuy, May 20, 2010.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The one thing about the Bill threads on this board that annoys me doesn't have anything to do with him. It's the idea that popularity justifies anything. It doesn't. At the end of the day, the work has to speak for itself, because today's young hipster is tomorrow's old fart. Happened to me. It's happening to Bill. He DOES have work that stands up just fine to the test of time, thank you very much. He also has crap like this. No sin, if you're prolific, and God knows he is, you're gonna have a higher number of errors. But just don't say that because x amount of young people like him, that excuses those errors. That's demeaning to sportswriting and to Bill.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

O, for Fenian to show up on this thread. The takedown would be epic.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I was impressed the amount of people who followed in line with the "New York Knicks" chant. Obviously he has a significant following and a lot of people are interested in him. Sure, the chant was weak, but it proved its purpose. It got national attention and if I remember correctly, LeBron shot free throws pretty poorly that night.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's just getting his rocks off, chuckling "Look what I can do".

"Simmons sucks" would serve as a solid counter-chant, under these conditions.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He rarely writes about the Bruins because he's not an NHL fan. He wrote one column about them a while back essentially saying that he started watching them again when they finally looked like they were going to go far. He's mostly a three-trick pony. (Red Sox, Pats, Celts).

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I read one Simmons column a year: The NBA draft recap.

It's hilarious.

Everything else I ignore because ...

a. I don't care about the Boston teams he writes about.
    b. Personally, I don't think he's a good writer because ...
    c. He writes way too fucking long.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

OK, even Peter King says that's bad outline form.

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

"Despite working for ESPN??" Since when is ESPN remotely connected with journalists?

The "E" stands for "Entertainment" and note that it's at the front. There's no J in ESPN.

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I found life much more enjoyable going to SI.com and Yahoo Sports instead of venturing to the WWL and being greeted with the Sports Douche's mug.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I hope the Bruins appreciate the lack of attention he pays them.

11. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie New Member

Have never, ever understood the Simmons hate on this board.

In fact, this board is the only place I've ever heard someone say they can't stand him. Everyone in my circle of friends and beyond (non sports fans included, like my sister and my mother) enjoy his columns because he makes them laugh.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The hate is fairly understandable on a sportswriter message board. Not saying it's all justified or without hints of jealousy, but it's understandable.

Draft saved Draft deleted