1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ray Melick says So Long

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ty Webb, May 17, 2010.

1. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Member

Ray Melick wrote his final blog/column in Birmingham today. He spent 27 years in the biz, most here with the late Birmingham Post-Herald and the Birmingham News. I count Ray as a very good friend. He makes a weekly appearance on my radio show to this day. I am not naieve enough to think everyone on here liked his style but I did always find Ray to be universally liked and respected. I know he will do well at his next venture.

Ryan Brown
    WJOX Birmingham

http://blog.al.com/ray-melick/2010/05/melick_so_long_and_thanks_for.html

2. Agreed, very good guy. Gonna miss seeing him around in his boots and carrying his motorcycle helmet.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Ray's one of the good ones and it's another loss for the industry.

That leaves one columnist in Birmingham now, right? Hasn't the News for years had at least two or three in rotation?

4. Ray is a great guy and superb reporter and columnist. I'm sorry he's leaving the newspaper business.

He doesn't have the slightest bit of an ego, as you can see in his final blog/column. I've known him since he was at the Post-Herald and I was in college almost a decade ago, and he's always been the same: a first-class person and a credit to our profession.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm happy that he's one of the few left who can say they have left this business on his own terms. Good Luck Ray.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Great, great guy. First got to know him back when the SEC title game was in Birmingham. Another big loss for newspapers. Best of luck to him ...

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I never met him, but his work is respected here in the Deep South.
    He's always had a "finger on the pulse" of the SEC and southern sports happenings, for sure.
    Good luck to Ray.

8. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

I really hate to see him leaving the buisness. I've always liked his writing. I first met him when I was in college working for the student paper. He always treated me as I a peer and I never forgot that. Just a super guy. Hope he continues to write on occasion. He's very good on the radio as well.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I hate to draft off Ray's heat, but since all the B'ham folks are at this thread ...

Mike Raita, the sports anchor on ABC 33/40, announced on the 5:00 broadcast that he will be out the next 8 weeks to have cancer surgery. Rough day in the local sports cocoon.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hope everything turns out for the best. Raita's one of the good ones...

11. Very much so. A hard-worker and a pro. When you can reach across the great print/TV divide and have a lot of friends and people who respect you on both sides, that's usually a good sign.

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That's awful. Raita really is a good guy.
    Hope everything turns out OK; 33/40's main female anchor, Brenda Ladun, also had several bouts w/cancer when I lived in the 'Ham. Tough to have it happen to 2 main station personalities.

Draft saved Draft deleted