1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (IV)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I think he's misinterpreting what BB said.
    It's the fact that Sochaux didn't clear him to train that led BB not to call him in -- it's not that Sochaux denied him the opportunity to compete. The simple truth is BB and/or his staff weren't willing to wait and gamble on CD's fitness. I'd have gladly traded Rogers for a 2 percent chance at a healthy Charlie, as you all know by know, but the U.S. was not.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I agree on Davis v. Rogers... However, the issue seems to be that Sochaux didn't give him medical clearance to join the US.

I think there is some other behind the scenes stuff going on. I bet if Bradley pushed it, Sochaux would have relented. However, I think Bradley decided it would be better to just not pursue it any further and not risk the mental anguish that might come from Davis not making the squad or injuring himself further trying to prove that he's healthy.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My guess is that Bradley's reports were that he wasn't ready and wasn't going to be ready. So instead of killing the feel good story by picking him in the 30 and leaving him out of the 23, he is taking the PR hit now. The combination of the French club not clearing him (which would not preclude the selection) and the comments by Davies are helping make this a non-issue.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

is funny. So, I'm sharing it here...

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Calling Pastor and the rest of NY SportsJournalists.com Soccer Nation. Please report to the white courtesy phone...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2972447/Henry-ready-for-MLS-move.html

If this is the case, I'd actually brave the insanity of the Sepulveda Pass and the rest of the ulcer-inducing, blood-pressure spike that is driving the 405 and take in the Red Bulls-Galaxy game. Landon, Henry, Juan Pablo Angel and maybe even Becks (if he's back). Has MLS ever had that much star power on one field at one time?

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

With the Euro tanking and with a lot of clubs loaded up on obscene amounts of debt, MLS might be in good position to upgrade its talent pool in the very near future. Stay tuned.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We were talking about the players who: 1) would realistically come to MLS at this stage in their careers (no Rooneys or Messis); and 2) would make a huge splash in the NYC/Newark area.

My list was:

1) Ronaldinho (probably two years away)
    2) Raul (the Ironbound crowd could go crazy and I think he speaks English)
    3) Fat Ronaldo
    4) Henry -- until the handball incident, probably the best buzz in the US after Becks; among the best known European players an a goal scorer, which matters to the casual fan.
    5) Zidane (too retired)

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I already have season tickets to their stadium which is walking distance from my front door (I mean that literally as I have never driven there).

The Henry rumors were floating around forever. It started last year. Now it is slowly but surely starting to come to fruition...

However, just as an long time Metros fan... I'll believe it when I see it.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As Fox Soccer's Ives Galarcep pointed out last night, The Sun story cannot be correct.

If order to sign a pre-contract agreement with another club, you must be less than six months way from your current contract expiring. Henry still has a year left on his deal with Barca.

That's not to say he won't be joining the Red Bulls, but that's not the way it's going to happen.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Still waiting for the Metrostars to sign George Weah.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Weah actually lived in NY when he played in England. He took the Concord back and forth. Talk about a freakin commute.

12. KP

KP Active Member

Learned this nugget from the Boston page of www.gousabid.com site.

First time I've ever seen the words Foxboro and hospitable ever used in the same sentence.

Draft saved Draft deleted