1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten expansion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Dec 15, 2009.

1. I can almost guarantee you that the old-line ACC schools (Tobacco Road, Virginia and Maryland) would rather be in a league by themselves than in a 16-team league that includes the South Floridas, East Carolinas and Southern Misses. If that kind of nightmare scenario happens, and a choice has to be made, the question will be which voices win out at those six schools: The fans and coaches (who would rather stay small) or the presidents and some A.D.s (who may go the other way).

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

in regard to the ever-expanding conferences, what is the impact on all other sports aside from football? Nebraska vs Penn St seems cool, but what are the costs affiliated for taking the baseball, softball, track, volleyball teams on a 1700 mile road trip? AT some point I guess the benefit (TV deal, conf championship) has to outweigh the cost (travel, increased recruiting costs).

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A buddy who covers college football said Texas really wants to go to the Pac-10 because they know they would be able to recruit California effectively, as opposed to Florida, where they don't have a ton of success, so a Texas move to the SEC would seem less likely.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Really don't think the idea of 16-team super conferences is a good one for many reasons.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Syracuse would never go to the ACC because of how that conference handled its previous expansion.

One question about Notre Dame: I realize they have a TV deal of its own. But is this short-term thinking? Long term, will that golden goose still be around? Is Notre Dame's cache going to be big if the school can't win games? I realize they have a big following regardless, just all this talk about the Irish's TV deal has seemed short-sighted to me.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. If they go 6-6 every year for the next decade, they're just another team.

Would they do any better in the Big Ten? Hard to say, but I can definitely see advantages beyond football.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

a) they've gone 6-6 every year for the LAST decade.

b) they'd get more TV money in the Big Ten.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd love to see Notre Dame playing Penn State regularly again.

9. mb

mb Active Member

If the choice is the ACC or a crippled Big East, they'll get over it.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Or they could petition to join the MAC, where they would have a natural rivalry with Buffalo and a chance at winning season in football every five years or so.

11. ND had to renegotiate its stance in the latest BCS system. It used to take around $10-11 million every time the Irish made a BCS game. Then Willingham, Davie, Wies ... throw in a couple of mediocre seasons (Like 15) and there is no bargaining chip. ND can't throw its weight like it used to but some believe they still can.

ND should look at it like it is a proactive instead of a reactive and make the move. The Irish, I fear, will be left out because they didn't move when the had their chances.

I say Rutgers to the Big Ten because the Big Ten can say it has a NY market. Pitt can't say that. Penn State can already give the Big Ten/ND the Pa markets.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Rutgers has as much pull in Manhattan as does Penn State.

The Penn State fanbase extends to 50 miles west of the city, at worst, and Jersey has always been a big source of Paterno's talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted