1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

NUMBERS!#%@!#%@#%T!@#^ (which should be incredibly important, no matter how hard you try to brush it off)

Why the Island acts as if it has a will of its own (may be Jacob at work, I'll admit possible answer there)

Why the Island is difficult to find

Why the Losties needed to recreate the original flight to get back

What is the connection with ancient Egyptians?

What was so important about Walt?

What is the nature of the "rules" between Widmore and Ben?

Who did Juliet shoot in the outrigger?

Why couldn't people get pregnant on the Island?

Why do some people who die on the Island get stuck there as Whispers, or at least to what end?

What was the sickness that killed Rousseau's team? Was it even real?

Why do you need to not let the Smoke Monster talk to you in order to kill him, and Jacob as well (and maybe even Mother, who was killed that way?)

Who finished the Donkey Wheel (it wasn't finished when Mother killed the people and filled in the hole)

2. This summed it up well for me.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briand4/lost-final-episode-leaked-video-1abw

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

OK, so you want to know what questions I feel need answering? Which was will bug me? Here you go.

Season One:
    1.) Why did Richard Malkin insist that Claire must raise her child by herself but then change his mind?
    2.) How/Why is Walt special?
    Season Two:
    3.) How did Alvar Hanso and the DHARMA Initiative discover the island?
    4.) Why are supplies still being dropped on the Island after the purge?
    5.) How did the island heal Locke's paralysis and Rose's cancer?
    Season Three:
    6.) Why do pregnant women die on the island?
    Season Four:
    7.) Why can't Ben kill Widmore?
    8.) How is Christian appearing to Jack?
    Season Five:
    9.) Why does Daniel feel that the rules of time do not apply to Desmond?
    10.)What is Eloise Hawking's connection to the Lamp Post station?
    11.) How is it possible to predict the Island's movements if it has been moved manually?
    12.) What does the Island still want with Desmond?
    13.) Why do those returning to the Island need to recreate the circumstances of their first arrival?
    14.) Why did Jacob choose to visit each person at these particular moments of their lives?
    Season Six:
    15.) What is the Temple?
    16.) What is the Sideways World? How is it related to the actual timeline?
    17.) What did Juliet mean when she said “It Worked”
    18.) What is the purpose of the Lighthouse? How does it play to the selection of people brought to the island?
    19.) Why did MIB want Desmond dead?
    20.) What is the nature of the light? Why must it be protected? What happens if goes out?
    21.) Why does MIB want to leave the island? What happens if he does?
    22.) What is the significance of the mirrors/reflections every castaway sees?

General Questions:
    1.) What are the numbers?
    2.) Why were these castaways chosen to come to the island or was it random?
    3.) What is the significance of Jack’s tattoo? (Just kidding)

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Again, I don't need 1+1=2 answers, just give me the tools to make finding an answer possible.

For instance, I don't need to know what the Temple is, exactly, but having someone say "The island has many special places with special properties" is an easy way to fix that.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Outing alert! NDub is one of these guys:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What about "If the Others had been on the Island, seemingly in peace, why did Jacob keep bringing people? Why couldn't Others be candidates?"

OK, let's start be eliminating all the ones that fall into one of four categories:

- Focus on unimportant minutiae as fans tend to do
    - Something they either said they wouldn't answer, or it's clear now they won't answer, so getting worked up about it is a waste of time
    - Things that seem like they were done just for plot convenience, so they could get on with the rest of the story
    - Issues that aren't important to more than one of the characters, which is their big "explanation" for why they won't get to everything

NUMBERS!#%@!#%@#%T!@#^ (which should be incredibly important, no matter how hard you try to brush it off) Again, what is the combination to your school locker? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!?!?!?!!?!?!

Why the Island acts as if it has a will of its own (may be Jacob at work, I'll admit possible answer there)

Why the Island is difficult to find

Why the Losties needed to recreate the original flight to get back
    - I'll say "plot convenience" here. But the entire return was clearly manipulated by the MIB so he could get everyone back, so he could slaughter them, so he could leave. MIB as Shepherd told Locke to move the Island. MIB as Shepherd told Locke to go get the returnees. MIB as Locke told Richard to tell time-travel Locke that he had to die.

What is the connection with ancient Egyptians?

What was so important about Walt?
    - I guess he had powers. But let's also remember that the Others were kidnapping a lot of kids at the time. I always thought it was part of the fertility issues.

What is the nature of the "rules" between Widmore and Ben?
    - They said to Sepinwall that they wouldn't really explain this one. I've always interpreted it as "Others are forbidden to kill each one another."

Who did Juliet shoot in the outrigger?
    - They made a mistake ignoring this one, when it would have been very simple to answer.

Why couldn't people get pregnant on the Island?
    - A massive, massive question. I was looking for this to be answered with a proper history of Jacob vs. MIB.
    "We need to fashion an endgame here. This is getting old."
    "OK, then, Jacob . . . let's end this. Your chosen people can no longer have babies."

Why do some people who die on the Island get stuck there as Whispers, or at least to what end?

What was the sickness that killed Rousseau's team? Was it even real?
    - Seriously? Same insanity that infected Claire and Sayid. The MIB's attempt to influence them.

Why do you need to not let the Smoke Monster talk to you in order to kill him, and Jacob as well (and maybe even Mother, who was killed that way?)
    - Interpreted this one as simply meaning that the MIB was a charmer. Give him a chance to make you an offer, and you would no longer want to kill him. Thought this was answered when Richard failed to kill Jacob. MIB obviously had a conversation with Sayid that turned Sayid into a bad guy.

Who finished the Donkey Wheel (it wasn't finished when Mother killed the people and filled in the hole)
    Thought it was dumb to show the donkey wheel in this week's episode, but this one is up there with "who built the statue?" as a "who cares?" idea.

Season One:
    1.) Why did Richard Malkin insist that Claire must raise her child by herself but then change his mind?
    - Unimportant, but probably the writers' attempt to introduce something that's actually interesting into Claire's story..

2.) How/Why is Walt special?
    See above.

Season Two:
    3.) How did Alvar Hanso and the DHARMA Initiative discover the island?
    - Would love to know this one. I've resigned myself to the fact they won't get to it.

4.) Why are supplies still being dropped on the Island after the purge?
    - My guess is that the Others are allowing Ann Arbor to think that Dharma experiments continue on the Island. Why would the Purge ever be reported to Ann Arbor?

5.) How did the island heal Locke's paralysis and Rose's cancer?
    - Meh, magical Island.

Season Three:
    6.) Why do pregnant women die on the island?
    - The most gaping plotline by far.

Season Four:
    7.) Why can't Ben kill Widmore?
    - See above.

8.) How is Christian appearing to Jack?
    - Did he appear on the mainland? I must have missed it.

Season Five:
    9.) Why does Daniel feel that the rules of time do not apply to Desmond?
    - Every Desmond-centric episode answers this. WHY Desmond is powerful . . . well, I guess they're not going to provide us with a radioactive spider origin here.

10.)What is Eloise Hawking's connection to the Lamp Post station?

11.) How is it possible to predict the Island's movements if it has been moved manually?
    - Why couldn't certain patterns have been established? The actual "moving" happens manually. But the donkey wheel doesn't control WHERE it goes.

12.) What does the Island still want with Desmond?
    - Show's not over yet.

13.) Why do those returning to the Island need to recreate the circumstances of their first arrival?
    See above.

14.) Why did Jacob choose to visit each person at these particular moments of their lives?
    - Each was a seminal moment that went a long way toward deciding what kind of people those individuals would be. Including Hurley, whose Island destiny became much more important after the return.

Season Six:
    15.) What is the Temple?
    - Safe place for Others with a healing pond. Why do you need more than that?

16.) What is the Sideways World? How is it related to the actual timeline?
    - Show's not over yet.

17.) What did Juliet mean when she said “It Worked”
    - Show's not over yet.

18.) What is the purpose of the Lighthouse? How does it play to the selection of people brought to the island?
    - Thought it was pretty clear that Jacob used it to watch possible candidates.

19.) Why did MIB want Desmond dead?
    - Now you're just messing with me.

20.) What is the nature of the light? Why must it be protected? What happens if goes out?
    - That episode needed to be two hours long. But the creators SAY there will be something of an answer to this.

21.) Why does MIB want to leave the island? What happens if he does?
    - Re-watch "Ab Aeterno" and "Across the Sea."

22.) What is the significance of the mirrors/reflections every castaway sees?
    - Show's not over yet. They'll get to the Sideways explanation.

General Questions:
    1.) What are the numbers?
    Sigh.

2.) Why were these castaways chosen to come to the island or was it random?
    - Each was a flawed person who needed a clean slate. Beyond that . . . it doesn't really matter, does it?

3.) What is the significance of Jack’s tattoo? (Just kidding)
    Excellent.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There are still three hours left (or one two-hour movie in real time), that is a lot of time.

I think many things will be answered. Not all, but I am guessing 90 percent of that list will be.

8. Chekhov said that if there is a gun in Act I, it better fire by Act III. That's a basic tenet of narrative storytelling, not something we're making up on the fly to pick on "LOST."

9. RickStain

If the combination to my school locker continually showed up in random places in the lives of various people, then that'd be a relevant comparison. They didn't; it's not.

10. NDub

NDub Guest

Piotr's got it right.

The writers don't have to hold hands to explain answers. Look at how quickly he buzzed through that. You've got the ingredients and instructions - make the cake yourself.

I'm a realist. I know not every specific thing is going to be answered. That's fine. I stopped worrying about that very early this season. I find it incredibly annoying that people still want to pick apart every detail that don't have a specific answer to. This show was built on vagueness and interpretation. It's like nothing else on TV. Did you really think they were going to give you Xs and Os this season? Chop up your meat into little bites for you? Just because ABC's marketing said so, doesn't mean Lindelof and Cuse did.

Yeah, there are things that have raised my eyebrow as to why they went this or that direction, but I'm just going with the flow. It's not that difficult.

11. RickStain

Well, thank you for letting us know that the way you enjoy a show is the only way it can be viewed.

12. RickStain

I do agree, though, that the show can still be enjoyed even as you accept that you aren't going to get all the answers you want. I think that's why I liked the last episode more than most fans did.

The "heart of the Island" being a cosmic power related to "life, death and rebirth" is a pretty good step toward giving us a good answer that lets everything else fall into place. Just go into that a little more and we are in good shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted