1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (IV)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's bad enough they charged $15, but they tacked on a $3 "convenience charge".

New England showed up with only 3 subs, including a GK.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The Revs are in a world of hurt right now with Joseph being in the substance abuse program and all the injuries they have. The back four they finished the game with are all actually midfielders.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

MLS clubs almost never promote these games.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Doesn't make sense to me, just as they don't seem to promote CONCACAF Champions League games from some of the attendences I've seen for those.

Is there a reason why there's this apathy?

5. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

Only MLS fans. USL/NASL fans get that these are huge matches for their teams. Not unlike the Carling Cup I don't think.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think with the USL PDL and true amateur teams that make it into the first round proper, and MLS squads only joining in Round 3, you could even equate it to the F.A. Cup.

Plus the CONCACAF CL place for the winner isn't something to turn your nose up at.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

They don't lift a finger to explain to people the importance of these matches. I don't know why, but it's just the way it is.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'd say pretty slim, especially if it's Blackpool. The playoff winners always struggle; the last winners to stay in the top flight with any permanence were West Ham in 2005, and the only winners since then not to go straight back down were Hull -- and we know what happened to them this time.

Cardiff at least have been preparing to go up; Blackpool were supposed to be down the other end of the table.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't understand MLS's thinking unless they're scared promoting the cup competitions will devalue league matches some way.
    Some clubs at least used to think it was a big deal. I have in my desk a DC United media guide from 99 after they won the CONCACAF Champions Cup and Interamerica Cup ... it's got plastered across the front "Champion of the Americas" so at least they knew what they had then.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

They should have included them but the tickets aren’t MLS games. It is run by USSF. I don’t think they can give them away for free.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That's one of the tricks with Cup games here. They can't be included in season tickets, which is one of the reasons attendances tend to drop so precipitously. You can give season-ticket holders priority purchasing, but you can't include the tickets in the package.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Oh boy... Davies is NOT happy with Sochaux right now...

Draft saved Draft deleted