1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And, as the Mother character appropriately opined in yet another fourth-wall tweaking nods to the fans, "Every answer is just going to lead to more questions."

Good, good, good stuff, though.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Meh.

They still haven't revealed the nature of the Numbers.

:D ;D ;) :D ;D

(Great episode).

3. RickStain

I would have liked to see a little more explanation as to whether the Smoke Monster *is* his brother or is just looking like him, but otherwise, absolutely wonderful stuff.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I thought the answer was there. Smokey is NOT the brother, only looks like him, because the brother's body was found, lo' many years later by the Losties. He was Adam. If there was no body, then it could be the brother, but there was an Adam along with Eve.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It has to be just looking like him, right? Otherwise there's no "Adam" in Adam and Eve. But why can't smokey attack Jacob? That line from the mother about saying they could never hurt each other suggests Smokey is him - perhaps in a new form and he discarded the old body? I'm pretty confused now - shocking with this show :).

6. JakeandElwood

Was the mother the same actress as Helen?

7. RickStain

That's one way of looking at it.

The other way is that Smokey shares Jacob's brother's primary motivation (to leave the Island) and Jacob seems to talk to him as his brother. And Mother did say that going into the light would be a "fate worse than death" or something like that, so presumably that's what becoming the Smoke Monster is. Worse than dying.

I'm leaning strongly toward Smokey=Brother, but I wish it was more explicit so we wouldn't have to have this discussion :)

I think the end is clearly going to be one of two things:

1) Mother was telling the truth about the light, and someone (probably Jack) becomes the new protector.

2) Mother was lying or mistaken, and MIB finally gets to leave the Island.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Nope. Allison Janney!

9. RickStain

Remember Gary Troupe's book from way back in the beginning?

"Bad Twin."

10. JakeandElwood

Yeah, I forgot about the fate worse than death thing, Smokey is the brother, he just discarded the human body.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

OK . . . a jumble of thoughts:

- This episode needed to be two hours long. I enjoyed it as an Anakin Skywalker-type explanation of "What makes someone 'evil'?" But there just wasn't enough of it.
    - Still waiting for the answer re: Others and babies.
    - On Smokey: If the light represented goodness in the world, then a man whose own soul was corrupted by the murder of his own stepmother (as well as his own twin brother throwing him in there in anger), also corrupted the light into something evil that would also corrupt the world. Right?
    MIB's (did they ever give him a name?) soul in hand, the now-dark light discarded his body, since it is nothing more than a shell now.
    - Nice to get an Adam and Eve answer. Too bad they felt like they needed to flash back to Season One to remind us all of how clever they are. "Look! LOOK! Adam and Eve! Bet you didn't expect THAT!!!"
    - Still want to know why the MIB in smoke form, so far removed from humanity, cannot kill Jacob.
    - I wish there had been some rules to their longterm "game" laid out. Instead, I guess we just get to imagine their initial post-MIB death meeting, and all that.

I really enjoyed this episode. But I also wanted more from it. I don't think it delivered completely. The main "answer" we got was Adam and Eve. The light in the tunnel was way too much like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, though I suppose that was the idea.

Or maybe the fact they left me wanting more is what they intended?

12. NDub

NDub Guest

I don’t believe The Smoke Monster is the actual Man in Black, aka Jacob’s brother. We saw the brother’s body and it was found in the caves. He’s dead. I believe the body served as a key to open a door and release the Smoke. This would make some sense as to why Christian’s body was never found after the plane wreck (Smoke said he was Christian), and why Yemi’s body was gone after they burned the beechcraft with him inside (Yemi lured Eko into the woods and killed him as the Smoke). It doesn’t explain how Locke’s body was found, yet the Smoke is currently in Locke’s form. BUT, Locke’s body was buried and maybe that has something to do with the Smoke being “stuck” in that form, as Ilana said. Or maybe the Smoke is “stuck” in Locke’s form because Locke was a final candidate?

I really feel like The Island was explained tonight. Not just Adam and Eve. I think explaining the unique properties - the electromagnetism - and the donkey wheel and that they work as transportation mediums was helpful.

Who knows where Mother came from. I think it’s something divine. Her desire to make Jacob and his brother pure was so that they would be in sharp contrast to whatever is in that glowing hole. The problem is that all men are fallible and it was proven when 13-year-old MIB doubted his mother. And when Jacob had a moment of hatred and threw his brother into the golden well. The problem is that these boys were set up for failure because their mother was fallible all along - she lied to them since birth.

Why is MIB special? Why can he see dead people? Who knows? Why do people today on Earth claim they can talk to dead people? See alien spacecraft? See ghosts? Can they? Are they lying? Who knows.

Draft saved Draft deleted