1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (IV)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I will have this game on DVR, since my girls have another soccer tournament this weekend -- our region's tournament -- so it's home game(s) for me.

But know I'm rooting for Pompey and hope they return to the Prem soon.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rangers at DCU has been scratched. And Beasley tweeted he was leaving Rangers. Wonder if he's joining the MLS after the World Cup?

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Italian manager going with three strikers. Ironic.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The word around the England camp is that Owen Hargreaves will be in the 30-man roster announced tomorrow and Joe Cole will be out.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Would have been fun to see if Capello would have found room for Owen if he'd been healthy at the end of the year.
    That "if" has been in place for a while, though.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

25 years to the day since the Bradford City fire, in many ways the forgotten tragedy of the 1980s.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

and then some!

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It gets overshadowed by Hillsborbough and Heysel because it wasn't as large a match/venue and an accident. The video of that old guy coming out of the stands with his head on fire is terrible.

RIP to the folks killed that day.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yup. When it was announced on Saturday, I punched a Celtic supporter because of it... ;)

I think the Boston article killed the whole thing. I hope that guy's happy...

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It seems as though CONCACAF may decide to change its format...

Personally, I like the idea. Sure, the US will hump Barbados 8-0 a couple of times, but it'll give a better shot to countries like Canada which, due to inconsistency, never seems to be able to bounce out of the early group stages.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The 30-man England squad. No Bobby Zamora, but Darren Bent does get in, along with Crouch, Defoe, Heskey and, of course, Rooney.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Capello admitted he called on Scholes, but the Ginger Assassin declined a spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted