1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Baseball Thread No. 2 (which was my Little League number!)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The thing with pitch counts is that some guys can certainly handle it. Some arms can take almost any amount of pitches. But you don't know who they are until you try it and find out who gets hurt and who doesn't.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's true too. Tons of talented guys from decades past flamed out because arm injuries meant the end of a career. Many of the best pitchers from the past two decades would never have been around without the progress we've seen in surgeries.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Makes you also wonder about the pitch counts of guys like Christy Mathewson, Jack Chesbro and Iron Man McGinnity. Those guys would throw 400 innings in a season.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Mathewson famously wrote in his book that stamina was important because he might have to throw as many as 100 pitches to complete a game. There was a ton of cruising on the softened ball back then.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the name of the song that ESPN played at opening of tonight's game? It had kind of an Irish jig beat and words about a sailor losing his leg.

6. chester

chester Member

Was it "Mrs. McGrath"? I didn't hear it, but that sound like the one. Springsteen did that on his "We Shall Overcome" CD, but I'm not sure who originally sang it.

7. Boom_70

No - definitely was not Mrs Mcgrath.

8. Boom_70

Dam - they showed Faneul Hall and it had snow on the ground. That has to be a first for May.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

If it's the same song they just went to break on, it's "Shipping up to Boston" by the Dropkick Murphys. Also part of The Departed soundtrack.

10. Boom_70

Yes - that was same song played at start of game.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

That would be a great song to play anytime a team from Boston plays on ESPN. Good on them to pick up on that.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

FWIW, Buster Olney in his Insider column today:

"I'd be stunned if Ortiz finishes the month on the Boston roster."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.