1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not necessaily advocating either, Pac. I am saying playing sports and being paid to do so by UVA means the athletic department should get to know if he commits a crime and then they can decide to either help him or punish him accordingly. No one thinks you should boot these kids from school for drinking or even getting caught drinking. That's the straw man here. But the school or AD should at least know about it.

2. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Is there anything we can do to help immature, testosterone-filled young men from exploding with rage if a romantic or domestic situation goes wrong? How can we look to preventative measures and change their attitudes and behavior? Punishment after the fact can't be the only answer.

To clarify: I'm using this case as a jumping-off point for a larger question about college-age young men, not speaking specifically of Huguely and Love.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, I realize that was poor phrasing, "higher than it should be." As you say, anything is too high.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Hoo, what if Virginia had gotten Huguley some counseling after the incident with the cop had they known? Not all of it is about punishing angry boys after the fact.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That go for public defenders, too?

6. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

My question was a tangent more than a continuation of your debate.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

People, please have some respect for the criminal defense system in our beloved country; the best there is in all of mankind. Really.

Not perfect, but pretty damn good.

Yes I am a lawyer, but remember a defense attorney is not the decision maker and his/her job is to make arguments on the client's behalf. The arguments may seem distasteful but its up to the audience to give them the substance that they believe it warrants. If its not worth anything, then act accordingly.

Simply because the defense attorney says it was "self-defense" or "not premeditated" does not make it true. (Same goes for the DA.)

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, for love of God, let's not denigrate one of the things that keeps us from a Star Chamber.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

According to an article posted on WashingtonPost.com this afternoon, Mr. Huguely was not only violent toward women:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/07/AR2010050704056.html?hpid=editorialpromo

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Damn. You would think this kid was a stinking Gait.

The coach might go down with this one as well.

WaPo is doing some great work on this story.

11. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Can we get a list of which parts of the Bill of Rights are OK to support and which parts are not?

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, as if Dom Starsia's week wasn't bad enough already, his father died today.

Draft saved Draft deleted