1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Focus on violence against women, yes -- and helping reduce some of that violence by better educating testosterone-charged young men first about objectifying women but also about their own emotions and how to handle heartbreak, handle your ex-girlfriend without resorting to rage and violence.

(I'm making some wild assumptions about the nature of this specific case, but my larger point applies regardless.)

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What about the angle of ... we've given these college athletes special treatment. We've given them free education. We've elevated them. Therefore, this kind of tragedy gets more attention... ?

But if they had been chemistry majors, I still think it would have been a big national story. When the lab tech murdered the Yale PhD candidate in a rage killing several months ago and stuffed her body into a wall, it was a pretty huge story.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I didn't hear about that one.

Sports plus a prestigious school plus two attractive young people (yeah, and white) makes the story ESPN and CNN material.

Lacrosse is also an up-and-coming sport nationwide. It's big on the eastern seaboard and pockets elsewhere, but it's 11th nationwide at the high school level in terms of participation numbers. On the girls side, it's not far from overtaking golf for the 10th spot. So maybe on some level, people are curious about the game and the people -- and, now, what kind of trouble they can find. I don't think there's any doubt that the Duke case boosted this one in some form.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Huguley previously threatened a police officer while drunk and had to be tasered. (When threads collide at SportsJournalists.com!)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/04/AR2010050402215.html

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's interesting when you look at team photos of the elite Lax teams they are all predominately white.

6. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Anyone who takes this awful incident into account when judging lacrosse as a sport is fairly idiotic.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

See! If he had been executed, he couldn't have murdered Love.[/starman]

8. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Wow, that story does not make him look good. I hate Tasers, but he sounds pretty out of control and potentially violent in that account, if accurate.

[insert obligatory "sure, authorities always tell the truth" disclaimer]

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Every time I see a picture of Yeardly Love she looks like Katie Couric.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

William & Mary is the snot school in the state, not U.Va.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd agree with that, at least as far as publics go. UVa's snobbiness is WAY overblown, but it's the snottiest of the state schools, although W&M is up there. Both run well behind Sydney and W&L.

12. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

We grow 'em like that at UVa.

Draft saved Draft deleted