1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol 2010

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jan 12, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Dialidol.com says Big Mike goes home and Aaron was the top vote getter. Aaron? WTF?

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When Lee starts to sing, I think that he's a guy who I would listen to on the radio. However, the performances themselves tend to be pretty spotty.

Didn't really like anyone tonight. They just realized now that Big Mike sounds like Luther? He, Casey and Aaron were all pretty boring. I thought that Siobahn was horrendous.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Lee was good again. I also thought Big Mike and Casey were good. Aaron was OK. Pedestrian performance for Crystal but won't cost her.

Siobahn ... good gawd. The performance was fine until the screaming at the end. I was like Beavis watching that Grim Reaper video when he screamed "AHHHHHHH! SHUT UP!!!"

Loved Simon's response to it. Something along the lines that it sounded she was giving birth. She's got to go.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I was watching with my girlfriend and she said something I totally agree with: "Crystal is being judged on a completely different scale." Her performance wasn't the best, but she tried something completely different and perhaps out of her comfort zone and she did well.

I wasn't crazy about Lee's performance, actually, I thought he was, dare I say it, a little pitchy, dog. Aaron was decent, but it was right in his wheelhouse. Siobahn was predictably awful, and Mike was pretty good. ... I like what he did with his song.

I thought the star of the night was Casey. When it's just him and an acoustic (I think this is the third time he's done it this season) he's fantastic. I love the little twang he adds at certain times. I think for him to continue, he'll need to drop the electric and strip it down a little, letting his voice shine through, because he's got a really good voice.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I just want that little boy to go home.

Crystal was just not good, bad song choice, and that ensemble around her was silly, why create such a huge distraction?

To me, Casey has the greatest potential to be a star, just because he's so damn cute. Lee has a better sound, Crystal is an actual artist...but Casey has that look.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No qualms with tonight's decision.

In seasons past, this probably would have prompted Paula's first hysterics.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed. She was my early favorite and she got worse week by week.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Siobhan. Casey and Big Mike were bottom 3.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Simon said at the beginning of the season that the girls would rule.

There are four guys and Crystal left.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Despite this week's misstep, if anyone other than Crystal wins, then it is perfect timing for a mass exodus of viewers from the show.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Far from a misstep. Sibohan ia awkward, predictable and has very little star power. Can she sing? Sure, but you have to be much more. I'd have been OK with Aaron going before her, but none of the other four. It was her time.

As for Crystal winning, the show survived Adam's shafting last season and would again if, say, Lee were to win. The biggest obstacle Idol must overcome is the loss of Simon Cowell.

Yet through it all, the show will survive. Maybe not as a tent-pole juggernaut, but as a show with respectable ratings. We have to remember all these "Is Idol dying?" stories are looking at the show strictly compared to itself. It's still pulling 20 million viewers! I think Idol producers would be very unwise to shake up too much in the face of ratings drops from a number that was inflated from the start. Cowell's exit will hurt, but to reboot the format would be self-fulfilling doom.

Draft saved Draft deleted