1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The stupidest thing your state high school association allows to happen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Gotta be part of the National Federation rules. I'm in a state with a high school association that doesn't do anything unless the NF makes the rule first, especially if the rule is nonsensical or arbitrary.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

They aren't allowed to. They have to. KSHSAA classification cycles, except for football, are for one year. The class counts are taken in September. The classes are announced in October. Girls' tennis gets one week's advance notice before they find out their regional assignments.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Actually, I wish the Mississippi association would move the football and basketball championships some place other than Jackson. Memorial Stadium and Mississippi Coliseum are both the biggest dumps you ever saw, and the MHSAA does almost nothing for the writers. I'd put up with the extra 2 1/2-hour drive to Oxford or Starkville to watch the championships in relative comfort and be treated like a professional.

4. apeman33

I think that's why Kansas doesn't play at K-State and KU anymore. An 8,000 seat facility (Emporia State) is much more appropriate for the Class 6A title game and something smaller like Hutchinson, which probably seats 3,500, is better for 3A. Class 2-1A is held at Fort Hays State, which might be kind of big for that class, but most of the 2-1A schools are in that half of the state.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Texas runs on a two-year cycle but they've figured out a way to announce the changes in March and have the take effect in September.

6. apeman33

Kansas wants the classes to reflect a school's current enrollment, so using numbers from the year before wouldn't work for it.

Oddly enough, football classes work the exact opposite. They're two-year cycles with (for example) 2009 numbers in grades 9-11 determining classes for 2010 and 2011. And that means students who will have graduated from high school determine what class a school plays in football they year after they do so.

This also means that about 6 to 10 schools are playing in one class in football and another in all other sports each year.

7. One instance... My high school went 19-1 with it is only loss coming to the 3rd seeded team, another team (who after a game into the season, got 2 city transfers, who were rumored to live with the coach but that is another story.) They went 16-2. We hadn't played each other. But somehow on some rule, about federation points, we get the 2 seed.

8. Taylee

Taylee Member

Don't forget about the long jumper DQ'd from the state meet because his boxers barely showed or the relay that was DQ'd because one girl was wearing a different color of a sports bra than the other three girls.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's a bullshit problem, Mustang. Every association has to draw lines somewhere.
    Of all the flaws with the MHSAA, that;'s the least of it...
    Now, I have to spend the next two hours trying to delicately phrase the issues with the AHSAA
    it is, after all, all in the best interests of the children.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Oregon is about a week away from adopting an "all-in" format for the playoffs...basically the top tier from each league goes to state, while every other team is thrown into "play-in" games for the first round. So Weak Sister HS and it's 0-11 football team can still hope for a state title...yeah right.

Also, we have Oregon divided into six classifications, which has made such a mess of things that now they are bringing in other committees to deal with playoffs and such through power rankings. I can see six divisions for Cali or Texas, but Oregon, really? Our old 4-class model worked just fine. In fact, some sports such as soccer and baseball combine classes so you have a 1A/2A/3A champ...doesn't that tell you something right there?

11. statrat

statrat Member

You beat me to the punch in this one. I like the sub-district, district playoff idea, but if a model has every single freaking team making the playoffs, something is broken. Oh, and hurray for four-team leagues!

12. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

They changed it last year so that the football finals are now at the dome. And good luck getting a correct or up-to-date bracket out of the GHSA. Or stats at a championship game.

Draft saved Draft deleted