1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

6 Awesome Food Products Discontinued Before Their Time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whither goest the Manhandlers from Swanson? A richer homoerotic subtext in the TV dinner field you'll never find.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't think it was to replace Mello Yello. It was Coke's attempt at challenging the caffeine-heavy goodness of Mountain Dew. It was awful and failed miserably.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. dooley_womack1

Surge--the official soft drink of the U.S. Army in Iraq

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Vault tastes an awful lot like Surge to me. Also, I still see Mello Yello quite frequently. Grocery stores and McDonald's fountains are the places I see it most frequently. I've also seen Cherry and Melon flavored variants in the past couple of years.

I also still see Zero bars in almost every store I visit.

Do they still make Coke Zero Vanilla? Vanilla diet soda is easily my favorite carbonated beverage in the world. It's hard as hell to find any in grocery stores. I usually go to Sonic and have one mixed.

5. dooley_womack1

Enough on the Zero bars! I guess it just be my region. But I'm on more solid ground on the Milk Shake bar by the same folks; haven't seen one in decades.

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Also, re: Clearly Canadian. I think I've read that Clearly Canadian was destroyed the second that the U.S. required nutritional information to be printed on food/drink labels. IIRC, prior to this, people were mainly operating under the assumption that Clearly Canadian was "healthier" than drinking a regular soda. When people saw the sugar and calories in CC, they stopped purchasing so much and the company tanked.

The parents of a girl I dated in HS owned a few convenience stores. I asked them about Clearly Canadian and they said that their local distributor went out of business in the late 90s.

The original bottle was a classic design. The design the plastic wrap around the entire bottle sucked. I still occasionally stumble across CC in the most random places.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In my neck of the woods, it replaced Mello Yello in vending machines and on shelves, and MY was never heard from again. Never was a fan of Surge (or Vault), did like MY.

I haven't seen Mello Yello in anything but the original flavor. And I haven't seen Coke Zero Vanilla on the shelves in a while. I only see Vanilla Coke occasionally.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Do they still sell Delaware Punch? I haven't seen it since I was a kid.

Add: Mello Yello WAS a Dew knockoff. Never seen it sold deep in the hearta', however.

9. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I miss these so much...

[​IMG]

Just wish they would come back.

10. tadwriter

tadwriter Member

Many, many, many, many, many many, many years ago, there was Root Beer flavored Kool-Aid. It had no carbonation, of course, but it tasted just like root beer. It was best made into frozen ice-cube pops.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Fuck you Kellogg's, you suck for getting rid of these:

[​IMG]

12. danhawks

danhawks Member

you can get ketchup flavored chips just about anywhere in Canada, but I can see how this is an acquired taste. I tried some and they just weren't my 'bag'

Draft saved Draft deleted