1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian columnist takes issue with Erin Andrews' appearance on DWTS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

It was? Were you in the meeting? It seems like a curious choice, if that's true. I would have thought that she might have included her work as a reporter for Fox Sports Florida. And if you're talking about the ESPN sideline gig, I'm thinking she might have put her work for the Tampa Bay Lightning as between periods host and postgame reporter as well as her work for Turner as a highlight anchor on Braves games and college football reporter. Are you sure the main thing on the tape was her dancing?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know why PP wrote that... It wasn't one of Nichols' finer moments in journalism

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Wow. You sure do seem to know a lot about EA. Hope you don't have a video camera. </jk>

4. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

What the heck is that about? It has already been pointed out that you were wrong on Andrews' audition tape, which btw was a ridiculously stupid comment and I hope you did not really believe that. But, futhermore, you don't think the dancers on the show are professionals? All of them were at one point with the exception of the "So you think you can dance?" winner. I ask why would they dance professionally over being a dancer on DWTS? I am 100% sure DWTS pays a lot more than any dance competition anywhere in the world.

You sir, will be attending the "other" prom.

5. JimShu

JimShu New Member

Andrews responded to the Toronto Star article via SI.com:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/extramustard/hotclicks/04/08/erin-andrews-discusses-critics-romance-rumors/index.html

6. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

I've acknowledged before on this board that I've known her since her college days and am friendly with her. Did she get breaks because she's good looking? Of course - TV rewards good looking people of both sexes, but especially women. I just felt it was unfair for Starman to act like ESPN saw her dancing at halftime of a game and said "She's HAWT - get her a mic."

7. sysimms

sysimms New Member

Never mind the fact Rosie DiManno is Canadian. Day in, day out, year in, year out, for decades now, she has written an excellent daily column in the Toronto Star. She is one of the most, provocative, versatile, regularly interesting columnists anywhere. You don't have to agree with her: You do have to read her.

8. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

Accidentally (really) ran into Andrews a few years ago. Two words: Real. Spectacular. I'm not speaking about her journalistic skills.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nobody with IQ above chilly room temperature should be watching DWTS anyway.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

DiManno is incorrect when she says that Dancing with the Stars is "digging ever deeper into the dregs of “celebrity” for contestants." A cursory search is all it takes to bring up the list of contestants, and it looks like the show may have a more recognizable group now than in its early seasons. At the very least, it's certainly no worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_with_the_Stars_%28U.S._TV_series%29

I hate that cliche, because no, I don't. I don't "have to" read anyone these days as newspaper columnists lose their importance at a rapid rate. No one "has to" read anyone.

Besides, it's much more interesting to read about her:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=rosie+dimanno&aq=f&aqi=g7&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=bcdf8cbbf06dc4f

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

When she's 50 and Newton's Law of Gravity has collected its toll, she'll always have another home at another network. But they might want her to get some work dun' first. It's good for business and all.

http://margotmagowan.wordpress.com/2010/04/08/when-women-join-the-fair-and-balanced-network-they-get-foxified/

12. A specious argument.
    The majority of Americans didn't give two shits about Watergate when it was being reported.
    Should the Post and Times have given more attention to the marriage woes of Sonny and Cher?

Draft saved Draft deleted