1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gus Johnson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pride of pleasantville, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And you can hit any key.

Where's the any key?

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Over the Top cubed = Gus Johnson

At least we were fortunate that a couple of his games this year had endings that may have measured up to the screaming, hyperventilating and volume he brings: last night's game and the Broncos/Bengals game where Denver won on the tipped pass.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wonder what Gus Johnson would sound like calling the moon landing?

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I think we need more Gus Johnson threads.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think I'll order a Tab

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Gus Johnson's emotion is perfect for the NCAA Tournament. I watch games just because he's calling them. Last night was a perfect storm-- double overtime thriller with huge shots being drained and Gus there making the game even more exciting than it already is.

Gus is a super good guy, too.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I don't mind Gus in a game like last night where the excess is warranted. But it's horrible listening to his act when he's doing some meaningless regular season game with the same over the top histrionics.

He's gradually evolving into caricature the same way Vitale did. In the mid-80s, Vitale's act seemed genuine, then he realized it was his schtick getting him rich, and it became increasingly fake and insufferable each year thereafter. Gus is in the early stages of the same thing.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

All sorts of gems:

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nah. Gus is a good second- or- third-line broadcaster, I don't think he'd ever be a flagship guy like Nantz.

Vitale is insufferable because of the tired phrases, the rampant coach-ass-kissing, his agendas, etc. Gus is just excitable. I can handle it a few weekends a year.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If CBS keeps the tournament, it will be interesting to see how it arranges the announcing teams because this is Dick Enberg's last year. Guessing they'll just plug in someone in with Bilas (Ian Eagle? Spero Dedes?) because they're not breaking up Verne and Raft nor Nantz and Kellogg. And I think Len Elmore is excellent with Gus.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

PUUUUUUUUREEEEEE!!!!

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

ANOTHER THREAD 'BOUT GUS!
    MUSTA' PISSED OFF SOME OF US!
    HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Draft saved Draft deleted