1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC high school to hire female varsity football coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Mar 12, 2010.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Another man's job gone to a woman, and for less money, I'm sure.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Good for her. I hope she does well. I do think women - some, anyway - are more than capable of coaching a man's sport.

3. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Several years ago in this neck of the woods, there was a female assistant coach at a junior college. Woman by the name of Dot Murphy. Her husband, Gene Murphy, was (and now is again, after a brief retirement) the head coach and AD at Hinds Community College near Jackson, Miss.
    I think Dot coached defensive backs or something. She was definitely a position coach, not a coordinator. And those Hinds teams pumped out plenty of D-I and even NFL-caliber talent when she was there in the 1990s and early 2000s.
    She was featured in an NFL Films documentary in the mid-90s, and Sports Illustrated did a big piece on her around the same time. She was also inducted to the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame as a basketball player.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's the sport of kings, better than diamond rings, football!

5. Not the only one. We have a female varsity head football coach up here in New York City. Debbie Vance coaches Lehman HS in the Bronx.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Was talking to a colleague tonight, wondering aloud how I would have reacted to playing for a woman coach. Of course, times have changed greatly in 25 years.

She will need to earn the respect of the players right away. And win. Otherwise the players will get teased mercilessly about playing for the "chick coach".

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's why the Post story said it was believed to be the only one.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I suspect she will be recruiting females to tryout for her team.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Really, no different from any coach, is it?

11. Is there ever going to be a point when men aren't ashamed of a woman doing something as well, or better, in a male-dominated field?

Draft saved Draft deleted