1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two cool shows on the History Channel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I don't much like the "YES! We just conned some old farmer out of a treasure!" aspect of American Pickers.

"Pawn Stars" has the highest combined weight of main characters on a TV show, narrowly beating "The View."

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

While I do prefer more history on the History Channel, I like a little original programming. Some of the old standbys need to be updated. There are some shows that have been airing for 10-15 years and I know some of the people (WWI vets for example) have to be dead. Obviously you can't go back and re-interview folks such as that, but it should be noted that the interview wasn't conducted last week.

I like Madhouse. I don't care for Life After People because they do too much on animals running loose, etc. Whatever wiped out the people would undoubtedly kill the animals, too. It's like the premise is that all the people just vanished.

I also get a kick out of "One Day After People" ... uh, not much is different. At least start a couple off weeks after people.

3. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I like Pawn Stars, but I've been watching it for two years and it is becoming a bit redundent.

Person walks in with item, bald guy checks it out, says he needs an expert to look at it, expert comes in says it's real (not always, and that is the best part when it's fake) and says it's worth $3,000.

Rick (bald guy) says what do you want for it, guy says $3,000. Rick laughs and says American money? And then adds not in this lifetime and he needs to make a profit and doesn't even know if it will sell in his shop (as if he doesn't know) and offers $1,000. Guy says $2,000, Rick says not a penny more then $1,500 and SOLD!

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I miss Decisive Battles.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

WWII in HD was sufficiently brilliant. I'd say about 60 percent of the series focused on the war in the Pacific, and I'm glad it did. I never realized just how brutal many of those battles were.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I really enjoy it when History does mini-series like "The States" or "The Presidents."

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They need to bring back Dogfights.

Relive the battles.... Dissect the tactics...

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like the idea but hate the execution. Each state and each president should be an hour-long episode.
    That would kick all kinds of ass.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

HI is being taken over by reality crap, too.

The Military Channel has a pretty high concentration of military history, but now they've started showing episodes of the about-to-be-canceled fucking bullshit motorcycle show because they're going to make a motorcycle for somebody who happened to be in the military. Next up, they'll be showing episodes of "Jon & Kate Plus 8" because one of them once talked to somebody who was in the military.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Engineering an Empire' with Peter Weller is very cool.

11. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Thing I am noticing about Pawn Stars, which I have been watching from Day 1, is that it seems more and more folks are bringing in stuff they already know is cool and valuable and have no real intention of selling it. They just now have a venue to show off their family heirlooms.
    Like Pickers, too, but hate how at the end they show what they paid and then what the itme is "valued" at, which is total BS. Occasionally it shows what they actually sold it for, but that is what I want to know. What they think it is worth means nothing.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The skinny guy on 'American Pickers' is annoying.
    Take it down a notch, guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted