1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good heavens, this is awful

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

AP story on Sunday's hockey game. No byline in the paper:

<b><i>Rest assured, Canada, the national honor is served.

With a flick of the wrist from The Next One, Sidney Crosby, Canadians found Olympic redemption Sunday.

The pall of a luger's death, a series of embarrassing glitches, a first half so dismal the hosts conceded the medals race, a loss to the upstart Americans in a preliminary game.

All but forgotten.

Canada is the Olympic champion in men's hockey....</i></b>

The death of an athlete equates to a loss in a hockey game? Somebody on the desk couldn't have caught that? Ugh.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I didn't take it as equating a hockey victory to the luger's death----just that the the luger's death combined with the other stuff, like it or not, was leaving some dark clouds over Canada's Olympics.

3. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

That's the same feel I got from it when I first read the AP story last night.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That is awful. There is no context in which drawing any sort of comparison between an athlete's death and a hockey game is appropriate. None. Who wrote this? Roy Williams? Nick Saban?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I know what you mean. Last summer we had a cookout and it rained, my wife burned the hamburgers, one of the neighbors choked to death and Kelly forgot to bring the potato salad.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hate overcooked burgers.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Kelly is such a bitch. Never pulls her own weight.

8. I think that was Al Robinson... I read it Sunday night and nearly posted it here.
    I thought it was painfully stretched and over-written. I like Al's work. He's the Pittsburgh AP guy, who does a really good job.
    Sunday night, I thought he had a big story and over wrote it.

9. Mediator

Mediator Member

Total homer story. Aside from equating the death to a game, the idea that the hockey game makes it all but forgotten is pretty offensive.

Or to put it in SportsJournalists.com terms; I was really upset that my neighbor choked to death, but damn that was a good burger! Barbeque a success!

10. Potato salad is f'n important.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Damn, we spell it "Honour", too ;-)

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

But it was all but forgotten when Kelly went back home and got the potato salad.

Draft saved Draft deleted