1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser suspended from PTI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 23, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Imagine if a female broadcaster tittled and giggled about male athletes the way male broadcasters do about female athletes and others?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You mean like Meredith Viera (sp?) did at the World Series a few years back?

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Butt-head: A huh huh, huh huh. He said tit. Huh huh, huh huh.
    Beavis: Yeah, heh heh, heh heh. He said uh, gig too, Butt-head. Yeah, heh heh, heh heh.
    Butt-head: Uhhhhhhh, that's not funny. Buttmunch. Huh huh, huh huh.
    Beavis: Oh yeah, heh heh, heh heh. Um, is poop funny? Heh heh.
    Butt-head: It usually is, Beavis. A huh huh, huh huh.
    Beavis: Cool! Heh heh heh, heh heh heh heh ... poop! ... heh heh, heh heh.
    Butt-head: Dumbass. Huh huh, huh huh.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness gracious that is a great observation.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Absolutely. No one, outside of a few hundred podcast listeners and every Pulitzer voter and every member of APSE, listens to Kornheiser. ESPN made sure every one who watches ESPN, PTI or reads the sports section of a newspaper in America now knows that Hannah Storm can't take a joke and ESPN has no balls.

Keep up the good work Tony and as my mother still says, Fuckem if they can't take a joke"

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Until male journalists have the locker room access of female athletes that female journalists have of male athletes, I'll with hold that judgement.

I can imagine a group of female NFL/MLB/NBA reporters sharing a couple bottles of Chablis talking about how Shaq ain't no Superman in the locker compared with Greg Oden

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Where did it say that Hannah Storm made a fuss sbout this? She seemed to take it in stride and accepted Tony's apology and moved to on.
    It's ESPN brass that made an issue of it.

And WTF does this mean:

"every Pulitzer voter and every member of APSE, listens to Kornheiser."

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

male athletes have the access. the athletes just don't give it up like the males do. unfortunately, i covered plenty of WNBA games when i was in the business and not once did the athletes bare all while the media was in the locker room.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

You mean male journalists have access to women's locker rooms after games.
    Lord, I hate it when people keep perpetuating this myth that access isn't equal. But of course male reporters (not you Leo, I get what you were saying) would know that if they ever covered women sports. Obviously heyabbott hasn't, what a shocker.

And I forget who wrote it on here, but ESPN does not have a dress code ... though it should.

10. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Someone did post that his suspension was really about Calling Chris Berman Fat.

After losing 50 lbs on Nutrisystem he gained it back and is now the Applebee spokesperson.

ESPN is a joke

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I don't find anything wrong with Whitlock's column.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The difference is this -- in the WNBA the rule is athletes meet with media BEFORE taking a shower and locker room closes after a certain period while in the NBA reporters are allowed in after a cooling off period of about ten minutes and it is pretty much open until the last player leaves.

So NO, the access is not equal and NO it is not a myth.

That being said - I wish the NBA would adopt the WNBA rule and force the players to stay dressed for ten or 20 minutes while the locker room is open.

Draft saved Draft deleted