1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 1, 2010.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Just got back from the local watering hole. The PPV was good. I say that because the two EC matches were awesome but the middle of the card was pure shit. First, postponing the Divas tournament is a stupid idea and by the time they actually conclude this idiotic "tournament", Melina will be back.

Second, no one gives a shit about Kane. No one.

Third, having a Miz-MVP match is a great idea. But, maybe you should promote it? I didn't even know they were fighting tonight. I would have liked to see them build off their Rumble bout in a substantial way, not in a way that looked like it was thrown together at the last minute.

That being said, I loved the two EC matches. I'm starting to get behind this Cena-Batista angle, if for no other reason than the fact that I like a legit face vs. a legit heel and this is it. I hope they keep the Hart vs. McMahon stuff in the background as much as possible but it could be an interesting match.

As for the SD side, I love the idea of Jericho vs. Edge and am convinced they could do a solid HBK vs. Taker II if they planned it out correctly. The magnitude of that bout is something no other current feud has and, if you put a big stipulation on it (Like streak vs. career, for instance), you could make it legitimately interesting.

The question is though. Will the WWE let Taker job at Mania? It seems like Michaels is the only guy who could get over on Taker in a realistic way. This might be their only chance.

Last thing, as someone above said, I think getting rid of the MITB match is a TERRIBLE idea. I get why they'd do it, hell that concept alone would sell an entire PPV but I've always liked having it as a Mania-exclusive bout. Made it seem special, you know?

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I think they'll probably have Orton-DiBiase added to that list. With all the young stars they have now, it would be a shame if they didn't do a MITB match, too. Heck, with those five matches, you'd have a heck of a PPV.

3. schiezainc

So let's pretend for a minute that there was a MITB match at this year's Mania. Who would you want in it?

Personally, I'd love to see Kofi, HHH, Sheamus from Raw, CM Punk, Morrison and Mysterio from SD and Christian and Shelton Benjamin from the now-defunct ECW in it, with Christian winning it.

Of course, I wouldn't mind tossing Swagger, Bourne and/or Miz in it too.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bourne, Mysterio, Benjamin, Morrison and Christian would be phenomenal in a ladder match together. The spots those guys could come up with boggles the mind.
    Throw in Swagger or Sheamus as a token big guy, and then Punk as the reigning king of the match/uber-heel, and you'd have a hell of a match.

5. XXXX

XXXX Member

i wouldnt want hhh anywhere near that mitb match.

i dont think they will have one, but if they did then kofi, christian, mcintire, morrison, ziggler, miz, and shelton could be great.

also, dont forget about punk and rey in a match. mask vs hair is what i have been reading.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Apparently, they nearly had a major catastrophe tonight.

Undertaker's entrance pyro went off as he was still on the entry stage and his coat caught on fire. He then sprinted full speed to the ring and was visibly pissed off when he got there.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/article/sd-star-accidentally-catches-on-fire-at-elimination-chamber-96801

For anyone who saw the PPV, did it look obvious that something had gone wrong? Was the actual "igniting" shown on camera?

7. schiezainc

They didn't show it going off or anything but he definitely sprinted to the ring. I made that comment to my fiancee as we're both always ripping on his entrances being so freaking long. He looked like he was running to the ring and Stryker commented it was because he "couldn't wait to get in there".

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

haha, Yeah, I heard that too - Great cover by the announcer.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

MITB: I'm actually somewhat OK with moving the match off the WM card because now it'll be the centerpiece (or at least closer to the top of the card) as opposed to maybe the 4th/5th biggest deal at Wrestlemania. And it provides something to prop up the summer PPVs.

EC: I guess this explains why Batista didn't bother with his match against CM Punk a couple of weeks ago and tried to walk out on Edge last week. A little surprised they moved the belt to him, but now it gives them some WM options (Batista vs. Cena straight up or with Vince and Bret as seconds. Smackdown chamber was predictable but necessary to get us to three main event-level matches for WM.

WM: I like schiezainc's idea of career vs. streak, but they should have established that last month, then had HBK play mind games with Taker to get him to buy in or to fuck around with him beforehand. Not sure if a month is enough to play up the enormity of a career vs. streak match, but it'll probably be a really good match regardless the stipulations.

Am I the only one who thinks the hair vs. mask stip talked about for Punk-Rey is unnecessary? For starters, this isn't Mexico, where hair vs. mask (or mask vs. mask, or hair vs. hair) is the final chapter of an epic feud, and everyone responds accordingly. To do that here, you really have to establish the importance of both to each character. Which leads me to the second point: why would Punk care if he's been shaved bald? He shaved Gallows and Serena on TV and a bunch of random people at house shows to establish it as a sign of acceptance of Straight Edge. Maybe if they cast it as a sort of power symbol (he who has the hair is the lord and savior of the SXe flock), but that needlessly complicates matters. Plus Rey needs to start talking up his end of the match, because right now it's Punk doing all the talking, and Rey coming out to fight. That's not enough to sell hair vs. mask, I'm thinking.

One of the big website guys (Keller, I think) had a decent idea for Bret vs. Vince: Have Vince, now that Bret's injured, offer to give him that Wrestlemania Moment after all and challenge him to a street fight. Bret hobbles to the ring one Raw, with Cena by his side trying to convince him that he's crazy for even considering it with a broken leg. Bret says he'll take the chance, signs the contract, then ... OH NOES HIS LEG ISN'T HURT, HE'S PERFECTLY HEALTHY. Vince does his patented gulp, Bret smacks him around, fade to black, and we have our match for WM. Remember, we never actually SAW Bret's leg in any of the video, we just presume based on the commentary and the post-accident drama. Maybe it's all a big setup with Bret, Cena, Gail Kim, Primo and that blond chick to fool McMahon. Unless Bret really can't go. Then they can forget it and have them be managers for the Cena-Batista match.

If, as expected, they drop MITB (and it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have a match at WM, then one or two more of them at a summer PPV), then that puts them in the position of having to add 2-3 matches to make up for the six-eight wrestlers that normally would be in that spot. They could do one more Miz-MVP match, though they probably need to get the U.S. belt off Miz if he's going to be teaming with Big Show going forward. Maybe they could flip it over to Kofi Kingston, who really needs the boost after his aborted main event push and who also has had Miz drama in the recent past. Do that at a Raw, then you can have Kofi-??? for the U.S. title and ShowMiz defending the tag titles. Perhaps Kofi-Regal? ShowMiz-Some Team (probably MVP-Mark Henry, which won't be pretty, but it's better than the alternatives). Drew McIntyre needs an IC opponent, and someone who isn't Kane.

So here's my proposal, given that most of the big matches are already set. Winners in red:

Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker
    Raw title: Batista vs. Cena
    Smackdown title: Jericho vs. Edge
    Tag titles: ShowMiz vs. MVP-Henry (maybe one turns on the other to start a feud post-WM)
    Mask vs. hair: CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio
    Street Fight: Bret Hart vs. Vince McMahon
    Randy Orton vs. Ted DiBiase vs. Cody Rhodes
    U.S. title: Kofi Kingston vs. William Regal
    Intercontinental title: Drew McIntyre vs. Christian
    Winner gets a Raw title shot: HHH vs. Sheamus
    Winner gets a Smackdown title shot: John Morrison vs. Kane (Morrison turns heel to set up Edge feud)

Post WM: Cena-Batista continue their drama, apart from the Bret-Vince thing which should wrap up at WM. Edge and the newly-heel Morrison build up for April and should be a good match. HBK, frustrated after another loss to Taker at WM, turns on HHH during a tag match (or during HHH's match with Batista), splitting up DX and setting up their first feud in more than five years. I don't know why I think this is such a great idea, but it's my fantasy booking, so fuck it all: Orton, DiBiase and Rhodes meet to reconcile, only Sheamus comes out to attack Orton ... and DiBiase and Rhodes join in, associating with him to create a Young Lions stable while turning Orton face. Guessing we won't see the NXT finale until the June or July PPV. I suspect Daniel Bryan will NOT win the NXT tournament-season-whatever, but still feud with Miz. Couldn't tell you who they'll end up pushing as the winner, but I've heart a lot of good things about Heath Slater, the redhead who looks like Edge, and David Otunga is dating Jennifer Hudson, has appeared on I Love New York and is a Harvard grad, so you have to think WWE *really* wants him to succeed. That would be my Season 1 NXT final.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I saw a couple of clips people shot from the stands with cell phones (they've since been pulled from YouTube). Scary shit. Undertaker is damn lucky he got out of that relatively unscathed.

11. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I'm intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

...except the NXT part. I just have a feeling that show will go as well as the XFL. :D

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Amazing, too, that Taker kept his shit together enough to go through his match. Gotta hand it to the man, he's a true professional. A lot of people probably would have freaked out or, at the very least, bailed on the match to get checked out.
    Any chance WWE turns this into an angle? On Raw tonight, will there be "newly discovered" footage of Shawn Michaels hanging out in the pyro control area and pushing the button early?

Draft saved Draft deleted