1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Undercover Boss

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 7, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I never said what happened IN those situations were not authentic. Just that they went a little overboard on putting themselves in those situations. Between the guy with kidney problems and the girl with five cancers and no money, it was a bit much. You can still make it interesting without the over-the-top plotlines, IMO.

Either way, I liked it enough that I'll keep watching.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I like the show, BUT the cynic in me says this is a big-business ploy to try and make heads of big corporations look good to the general public. Like CBS cut a deal to help with the public image of the evil corporations. We know how big business is currently viewed in society right now. This is could just be a tool to at least attempt to change that image.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I liked the big boss. But it's kinda hard to believe that the company really cares. I have Waste Management and I have no choice in the matter because of its contract with the city where I live. It's WM or nothing. Whether they project a happy image or not doesn't matter.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Hey Dean. You've got 10 minutes to format that high school swimming agate or YOU'RE FIRED!"

Figured I'd just cut to the chase.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I was able to separate the two. I cared more about the COO who had to get his hands dirty than with whom he had to do it with or under.

I was more interested in the suit wearing the coveralls than the problems of the others.

The fact the man had a kidney problem or the woman had cancer didn't change the fact he was picking up trash, cleaning toilets, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A lot of places aren't like that, though. You can contract with one of several companies.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My teenage kids were begging to watch the show after the Super Bowl and really liked it. I liked it too, though, it did seem a happy coincidence of compelling stories and a good-guy boss.

If they get enough bosses who are human, it could do well.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Didn't see it in Indy thanks to the Super Bowl postgame ("and let's talk to MORE upset Colts fans!"). Will look forward to seeing it at some point, I hear that White Castle is involved. I love me the occasional WC.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Didn't see it, but do they explain to the workers why this new guy is being followed around by cameras in any way that's plausible?

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think that's where Waste Management comes in.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I believe they said they were doing a documentary on workers trying low-level jobs.

12. That just raises everyone's morale when you walk in and say that.

Draft saved Draft deleted