1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Greg McIlvain

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 1, 2010.

1. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Terrible news. He was a good guy. Truly.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Sounds like quite a guy. RIP, Greg.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I found your anecdote about him calling in and feeling as if he was letting you down--and your reaction "Greg never, ever let us down."--quite moving. Not that you need my advice here, but I think that'd be a perfect thing to mention in a column.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Seconded.

5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Thirded.

RIP to someone who sounds like a great boss.

6. shortstop

shortstop New Member

I am so sad to hear this. Like all of his friends in the newspaper business, I had hoped that Greg would overcome his health problems, and that we'd have him for many more years. At the same time, I am so glad that I was able to work with him and knew him as well as I did.
    Greg was my sports editor for three years in Valdosta, and those were the three most enjoyable years of my career in this business. We had a blast, and I learned so much from him. He treated his staff tremendously well, worked his tail off (he regularly worked 70-hour weeks, with no days off) and in my opinion, we put out some great sports sections. He was also a great friend, the kind that would do almost anything for you.
    All of the positive things that have been said about him here are right on the money. Good guy? Absolutely. Good journalist and desk guy? Without a doubt. HejiraHenry said, "Greg never, ever let us down." He never let us down in Valdosta, either.
    And yes, Greg has absolutely gone to a better place, where Memphis basketball - both the Tigers and the Grizzlies - never loses.
    Rest In Peace, Big Greg. We will miss you. But those of us who knew you will always cherish the time we had with you.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well said.

8. Wes Rucker

Wes Rucker Member

My favorite memories of Greg are listening to his Valdosta State rants and jokingly interrupting him with, "Oh, come on, Gregger, it's just Division 2 football..."

His face would get so red. It was always funny.

9. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

I was fortunate to have Greg as one of my first sports editors at a time when I was a part-time stringer still in college. Like others have noted here, it was a very fun time.
    Greg busted his tail for the sports section in Valdosta - he was intent on making it great no matter what it took - and he also made what we were doing fun. Many of fun times were spent within the sports departments during and after deadline.
    Right now, he's probably up in heaven trying to convince people up there about the legitimacy of Div. 2 College Football.
    RIP, McIlvain.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't think I can compose my thoughts enough to say everything I need to say. All I can do at the moment is rip off my facebook post. Just damn.

11. Babs

Babs Member

I didn't know him, but this thread makes me wish I had. :(

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Gregory Thomas McIlvain, 48, formerly of Memphis TN, passed away at his home in Tupelo MS on Monday, February 1, 2010. He was a lifelong sports writer and newspaperman.

He worshipped at Second Baptist Church when in Memphis. He graduated Christian Brothers High School in 1979. He continued his education at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, AL and majored in communications graduating in 1983.

His job history included the following news locations: Prattville AL, Natchez Democrat, Meridian Star, Valdosta Daily Times as sports editor and the Chattanooga Times-Free Press. In 2006, he began working for the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal in Tupelo, MS.

He was preceded in death by his maternal grandparents, Robert and Cora Lee Bateman; an Aunt, Patricia Bateman Sams. Greg is survived by his mother, Jo Ann Bateman McIlvain; his father Thomas McIlvain (Charlotte), and step brother, Jeff McIlvain; cousin, Philip (Rhonda) Sams.

The visitation will be held at 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Friday, February 5, at Memorial Park Funeral Home. The memorial service will be held at 1:00 p.m. also on Friday at Memorial Park Funeral Home. In lieu of flowers memorials may be made to Second Baptist Church, 4680 Walnut Grove Rd. Memphis TN 38117.

Draft saved Draft deleted