1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Vancouver questions thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by danhawks, Jan 25, 2010.

1. danhawks

danhawks Member

Don't know if anyone has started something like this, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone wanted a clearing house for story ideas, cheap places to stay, good local beers, etc.

I'll start it off. Anyone interested in sharing a car or who already has a car and is driving from Vancouver to Seattle after the Closing ceremony on Feb. 28 or March 1? I would be interested sharing costs/gas. Please post or PM me.

Thanks...

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Dick Ebersol was on Dan Patrick this morning and said everything was all set at Whistler.
    However, I spoke with somebody Friday who had just come back from Whistler. He said top two-thirds of the mountain are good. Bottom third was rain, no snow.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's a heartbreaking story. Maybe Ebersol will do one of his signiture lead ins on the Mountain.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In Vancouver? During the Olympics?

Maybe try Prince George, BC.

5. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

I rented a place for $220 a night. Try this site: http://www.rent2010.net/

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I would say that's pretty cheap. Is it a room in a private residence?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As a frequent visitor to the area, I can say that first timers are in for a treat (if your expenses are taken care of).
    I've enjoyed my hangs at The Yale, Dix Brewpub, Yaletown Brewpub, the gondola ride up Grouse Mountain if fun, the suspension bridge is pretty cool as well.
    There are a lot of (normally) cheap restaurants that provide good meals in a variety of cuisines. Go for something you haven't had before.
    Stanley Park and the Lions Gate Bridge are worth the traffic.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If it's not too cold, go for a stroll around Stanley Park.

It rivals Central Park as one of North America's best urban parks.

Also, if you have the time a visit to the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia is worth the trip.

Vancouver also may be the best city in North America for Asian cuisine.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

JR - how long a drive is it from city to Whistler?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ebersol said there could be a problem with the half pipe and freestyle skiing.
    And that Leno is funny.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I love Vancouver, great city despite the whiners.

If you have not secured a hotel you may be SOL because VANOC basically has almost every hotel room booked. I am at a loss as to where I would start looking for a place to stay at a reasonable price.

The dining is Vancouver is fantastic. Check out Memphis Blues BBQ (it is either on 4th or Broadway) for the best bbq I have had in Canada. All you can eat sushi is ubiquitous and some of it very good and very fresh. If you want a high end Sushi experience go to Tojos.

The Shwarma King on Denman has fantastic Shwarma, yum, just thionking about is making me drool.

The Seawall and Stanley Park are worth seeing if it is not pissing rain. Granville Island is fun if you like markets.

If you want something completely different go down to Main and Hastings. I am not sure if they are bussing all of the junkies and derelicts out of the dowtown east side for the Olympoics biut it is still a sight to behold.

Open air drug use and sales, people passed out, crazy people walking around, drugged out zombies tottering about talking to themselves, itis like the junction of crazy and addiction. When I lived in Van I would drive visitors down there and they could not believe it.

No matter where you stay always lock your car and don't leave ANYTHING of value in plain sight...a junkie will smash your window and take it whether it be 35 cents in a cupholder or a cheap pair of sunglasses.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

2 hours

Draft saved Draft deleted