1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Hooray4snail

Hooray4snail Active Member

As for the touristy places, NASCAR Cafe is a good choice and the Hard Rock Cafe had a pretty long wait, but the food is good. The House of Blues has a mystery dinner theater that my wife and preteen daughter really enjoyed.

If you really want an off-the-beaten-track place, try Hamburger Joe's on Hwy. 17 in NMB. It's a no-frills burger joint with an outdoor patio. The only beer on tap is Natural Light (or something like it), but damn, the hamburgers kick ass and it takes the cake for cheap eats.

2. Hooray4snail

Hooray4snail Active Member

As for driving U.S. 17N, once you get past Calabash and its seafood restaurants, there's pretty much nothing worthwhile until you reach Wilmington. (Unless you're going to play golf.)

Not sure about going south.

3. Scwibe

Scwibe Member

Myrtle Beach/Charleston?
    if you haven't left yet: the NASCAR Cafe is located next to the far-more-fun NASCAR theme park near Broadway at the Beach, northwest of Myrtle.
    but the best advice is to head south, to:
    Bovine's in Murrell's Inlet (15 miles from Myrtle)
    Hanzer House in Litchfield Beach (19 miles)
    Frank's in Pawley's Island (22 miles)
    Bocci's, Aaron's Deli & Fishmarket or the fancy 82 Queen in Charleston, a must-see town (90-minute drive, tops)

4. Hockeyscribe

Hockeyscribe Member

Very highly recommended, I believe the kitchen stays open until 1 AM, and they serve Penn Pilsner on tap.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I never make a trip to the Burgh without going to Primanti Bros.

6. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

There's an Italian restaurant in walking distance of PNC Park that I thought was excellent and reasonably priced. I don't know the name, but your concierge might.

Speaking of NL Central towns, I'm headed for Cincinnati. I'll be hitting the legendary Montgomery Inn. Any other suggestions?

7. Redswriter

Redswriter Guest

If you want to stretch the expense report, The Precinct is a world-renowned steak joint located within a 10-15 minute cab ride from downtown. It's a favorite for visiting players and celebrities, like yourself!

8. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

One of my buddies who covers the masters every year gave some great recommendations. for any of you going to augusta this year for the tournament, you definitely should try hot foods by calvin. I was in and out of there in 25 minutes. it's good old-fashioned southern food, cheap. definitely worth the 10-or-so-minute drive from Aug natl.

9. Hockeyscribe

Hockeyscribe Member

If you're staying downtown, Rock Bottom Brewery on Fountain Square has good food and good beer brewed on premises. Nicholson's is a very nice Scottish pub with a great selection of single malts and beers, and good food to boot. Jeff Ruby's is an upscale steakhouse run by the people who own the Precinct, minus the cab fare it takes to get to the Precinct.

If you need more info, pm me.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Cincinnati? Skyline! Well if your on the cheap, anyway.

11. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

What about College Park, MD? anyone?

12. Skeptic Tank

Skeptic Tank Member

As for Highway 17 in SC, if near Litchfield, eat at The Mayor's House. Strong menu, Caesar salad made table-side, quiet atmosphere. Classy yet not uptight. Basically the opposite of anything you're going to find up the road in Myrtle Beach. There's also a great breakfast place directly across the road called (I think) Eggs Up Grill.

Draft saved Draft deleted