1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome to the Pac-10, Lane Kiffin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Magnum

Magnum Member

Just admit that you were powned.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When Tennessee threatens to throw a reporter in jail for using a video, or using a video will endanger the lives of soldiers, please let me know.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Happens every night in my house. When we go to bed, we turn the TV on and then turn the color, tint and all that crap all the way down, so it's dark. We LISTEN to the TV as we're trying to fall asleep.

With TV, the pictures are sometimes secondary.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And sometimes, you let the pictures tell the story.

One of my favorite sports moments: When the Mets beat the Red Sox in Game 6 of the WS in '86, Vin Scully said, "If a picture is worth a thousand words, then you have seen about a million words."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bill Buckner tried to get NBC not to roll their cameras for that one.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Of course. But the key word is "sometimes." Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. It's not a black and white issue. Goes both ways.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

PC,

I have long ago stopped caring about defending TV work to some print reporters on this board. I accept that they are the last virgins while we are...the reverse.

I do know, however, that when we waive a $50 cheque to come on, they would come running.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well said. Thanks.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Wes,

I have a question for you. When it comes to your rationale for "getting him in the room," I totally understand. When Butch Carter coached the Raptors, a few beat guys noticed that if no one talked, he couldn't help but keep going. So, they told me -- and a few others -- about it. We basically came up with the strategy that, if we ever really needed anything, someone would ask the first question and there would be no follow-ups.

What I wonder is: Was there any consideration given to pulling the guy aside and telling him that?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll do it for $25.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

$15. But you have to keep your camera off.

12. jps

jps Active Member

what the hell's a cheque?
    :)

Draft saved Draft deleted