1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome to the Pac-10, Lane Kiffin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 12, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He did do that. The basic question, though, is if you are going to come out and speak at a news conference is it reasonable to expect the TV guys to agree to turn off their cameras until you tell them it's OK to roll?

2. jps

jps Active Member

pcl,, it does alter the final product. tape recorder gives you much better quotes. going with pad only, I can get a lot - but I can't get it all. often am finishing one sentence as he is speaking the next. you can often tell in stories what was recorded and what wasn't, because the recorded interview will often have longer quote blocks than the non.

(and while I know you disagree, I don't know that ultimately this would alter the final product for tv. in the sense that it would have to be presented differently, yes. but if the ultimate goal is to disseminate information, you're giving viewers the same either way. and again, I argue that as a viewer, I'd prefer the version you seem to think is the worst thing imaginable. and fwiw, I did start my career in broadcast and have a broadcast degree. don't pretend to now have the experience you do in the field, but I do know the basics here.)

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I don't even know if that's the question. Whether or not it was reasonable, the fact is, in this situation, it was what Kiffin was demanding, and he was under no obligation to speak.

At that point, as I've said before, you can argue all you want, but it's not changing. So you have a decision to make: Bitch and moan and ruin things for everyone else or realize you pick your battles and get the information your viewers/readers want.

4. The Big Ragu

jps, if it doesn't alter the TV coverage (in a way that severely limits the impact), why do you think Kiffin was insisting on it?

5. Magnum

Magnum Member

Youtube? What the fuck does it matter? Now you're trying to argue that TV was somehow serving the greater good? WTF?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"Waiting to be fed"? Man, that's fucking insulting.

Some of you people are being real assholes about this. ::)

7. jps

jps Active Member

ultimately, because he likes to be in control. he gets off on that, it seems, as much as being in the spotlight.

8. Magnum

Magnum Member

Have you not been introduced to Big Ragu before?

9. The Big Ragu

I didn't say a word about the greater good, whatever you mean by that. jps said he doesn't believe that voluntarily shutting the cameras would haven't impacted the TV coverage. My question was, then why does he think Kiffin insisted on it?

When people try to control how they are portrayed in the media, by trying to impose restrictions, there are reasons for it. It does matter. To me at least.

10. jps

jps Active Member

you're right, of course, buck. the people in that room were in there to get as much as they could get. and the beat writer was right in that if you get lane in the room, who knows what you'll get. at the least, you get the answers to at least the softball questions he wanted to answer. at that point, the 'waiting to be fed' can press the issue and see what happens. but they never got that chance.

11. jps

jps Active Member

and you don't think viewers can see that? take what kiffin give you. explain why it isn't what you wanted. it isn't what they wanted, probably, either. let them connect the dots and see that, yes, he is in fact still a d-bag. but give them that opportunity -- and don't take away from other journalists in the process. that, to me, is the biggest deal here is the screwing of other people in the room. don't like it, walk. don't throw a tantrum and prevent anyone from getting anything.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Correct.

And what hasn't been mentioned often enough, and what makes that idiotic comment all the more insulting, is how hard some of those writers were working -- breaking real news and real updates -- all week leading up to that sham "press conference."

Those guys were in the room because that's where the damn story was, at that immediate time. So of course they were "waiting," but not to be fed.

That's a disgusting sentiment.

Draft saved Draft deleted