1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worthwhile Will Leitch essay on Bill Simmons

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I guess I don't know the dirty backwaters between them.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's a Black Donnellys-type thing

3. Songbird

Haven't seen that, either 8)

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

'Cause I love that dirty water......oh, Boston, you're my home!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

YOU'VE SEEN EVERY MOVIE EVER MADE! There was a point you were posting 2-3 movies a day on the movie thread! :D

6. Songbird

Yeah, unfortunately, the crappy piece of technology I used (really, it was like a flip-top disc player with an 8-inch screen) to watch said movies is broken. For good. I am sans ability to watch movies right now, and that is not a good thing.

I'm hoping that if I pimp Simmons' book enough here, he'll thank me by buying me a DVD player so I can watch Pierce's favorite movie: Oceans 14 with Anthony Michael Hall. Wait, whut? That's not out yet?

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

A feud between the smarmy, overhyped Simmons and the rageaholic, hysterical Pierce? Can't they both lose?

And seriously, "My Vengeful Screaming Vagina?" Stay classy, Charles.

(The Mitch Albom line was spot-on, though. I guess there's a review in there somewhere, even if it'll take a whole bunch of outdated pop-culture references to dig it out.)

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm sure Pierce will happily see Ms.
    Palin in a different light when Ms. Palin achieves something resembling an education level
    which would qualify her for national office.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If I may go all Boom here for a second and speak about the 1970s...

Simmons had a minimeltdown on Twitter last night, supposedly over Stein's "best moments" of the decade column. Suspiciously, it came after Kobe hit another game-winning shot, which must have enraged Bill.

http://twitter.com/sportsguy33

One of the tweets:
    The Nuggets lost that game 139-137. Thompson played 43 minutes. Yet he sat "most of the 4th." Really? I haven't seen a detailed boxscore or play-by-play of that game. But considering he played all but five minutes - and it was a two-point game - I'm kind of doubting he sat most of the final quarter. And I'm trying to imagine Simmons' reaction if Kobe had scored 73 in a losing cause while gunning for a scoring title. 4,000 words minimum.

I loved his book. But he's always one Kobe explosion or game-winning outburst away from an ill-advised rant.

10. I did laugh out loud at how Pierce kept putting "Vegas" in quotation marks.

11. Songbird

Regarding David Thompson (whose level 2 bio is pretty good) in relation to your point about Kobe scoring 73 for a scoring title ...

... let's go back to the final game of the 1994 regular season, when David Robinson trailed Shaq by 33 points for the scoring title. (Simmons used Robinson's card to lead off the Level 3 pyramid section). So, Spurs are playing the Clippers that final night of the season. In a game that meant squat (Clippers had the 7th-worst record, and the Spurs were 55-27), Robinson played 44 minutes and scored 71 points.

Kevin McHale's pyramid bio (level 3) is really good.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Now that was funny.

(BH, the idea that Palin's lack of "an education level" makes her an appropriate target for out-and-out misogyny as displayed by my old pal Charlie Pierce...well, it's a little hard to figure.)

Draft saved Draft deleted