1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: No more sports at Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Dec 11, 2009.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

John Taylor let me do a Redskins sidebar at Tampa Bay.

The next day, Sean Taylor was shot. I told him I could be in Miami in four hours if he needed another person on scene. John said get down there.

En route, we learned Sean died. Not since Dale Earnhardt at Daytona had I to file on anything like that before. John assigned me a color piece about the sights and sounds and I spent an entire day riding around Miami putting the story together.

With John's help, it was one of the best stories I ever did. He's also let me do a couple of Wizards games as well.

Thank you, John and best of fortunes to the Times staff.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

How does this compare to other recently closed papers like the Rocky Mountain News and Seattle Post-Intelligencer?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

ROH really blasted TWT on the LaVar Arrington Show yesterday too.

Man, I feel so bad for all those guys. Just an awful situation.

4. silent_h

silent_h Member

Very sad day. Like any sports department, the Times had its strengths and weaknesses, its lovable quirks and irritating flaws (occasional office flea infestation = flaw). But at least in the half-decade that I worked there -- and from continued reading, beyond that -- it had the most important quality a sports section can possess.

Fearlessness.

Times Sports took chances -- standing up to the Redskins' owner-induced PR ridiculousness, calling out Washington Sports and Entertainment's bogus attendance numbers, making sports the front page calling card of the Sunday edition, treating sports business like a serious beat, staffing national stories despite not having anything approaching dedicated national writers, experimenting with the sort of graphical stuff and edgy, satirical, offbeat content that is now commonplace in the world of web sports. The sports department was an enormous underdog in its own market -- never mind circulation numbers and backscratching APSE esteem; I'm talking about a sheer lack of resources, from money to staffing to equipment to web presence -- and yet made that underdog status work in its favor, embracing an irregular, get-it-done ethos that suffused its product -- a product that was very competitive with arguably the top sports section in the country.

I'm obviously biased -- I owe the place beyond words for the opportunity I was given -- but I think the old newspaper saw fits: it was a daily miracle.

Anyway, I guess that's my requiem for Times Sports. I wish everyone there well. And I hope they all take that same fearlessness with them, wherever they end up.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2009/12/30/washington-times-layoffs-how-they-went-down/

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Another thing I'll miss is the guys at the Times playing in DC's media softball league. They were always a good team in the league's upper half (sometimes way upper), and also some of the funnest people to be around.

7. VJ

VJ Member

Until this whole deal with the church went down, there was ZERO inkling that more layoffs were coming. In fact, the new editor John Solomon had been hiring people away from the Post and other outlets in recent months.

This was nothing that anyone in the newsroom could have seen coming.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wow.
    I think that's what threw me off because of the recent hires.

9. VJ

VJ Member

Don't worry, it threw us off too.

10. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

To steal a line from one of my deskmates, they didn’t teach How To Deal With Layoffs 101 when I was in college. I guess that’s the one major flaw of the Mizzou journalism program.

I thought it’d be fitting to give a rundown of everyone affected by the sports section’s demise – it’s daunting when you read through it. (A few of these guys are part-timers, but not many):

Mark Hartsell, sports editor
    John Taylor, assistant sports editor/assignment editor
    Harrison Goodman, assistant sports editor/design
    Scott Silverstein, assistant sports editor/copy desk

Columnists
    Dan Daly
    Dick Heller
    Tom Knott
    Thom Loverro
    Gene Mueller, outdoors
    Steve Nearman, running

Reporters
    Bob Cohn, enterprise
    Barker Davis, Georgetown, colleges, golf
    David Elfin, Redskins
    Mike Fratto, Navy, Mystics, GA
    Ben Goessling, Nationals
    Mike Jones, Wizards
    Tim Lemke, sports biz
    Corey Masisak, Capitals
    Ryan O’Halloran, Redskins
    Patrick Stevens, Maryland/colleges
    Mark Zuckerman, Nationals

Copy desk
    Jon Fogg
    David Gill
    Drew Hansen
    Teshia Morris
    Michael Petre
    Steve Repsher
    Stephen Whyno

Many of the people on this list have been in journalism for 10, 15, 20 years. A few, like myself, are relative newcomers. I can honestly say there were times when I took this job for granted – slamming out story after story on Redskins Sundays, battling our sometimes ridiculous deadline schedule, fighting the never-ending cycle of breaking news in this four-sport town – but now, as I get ready to contribute to the last TWT Sports section, I know I’m going to miss it.

Thanks to everyone on that list. And thanks for SportsJournalists.com’s well wishes. It means a lot to all of us.

11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Hope the new year turns out better for everybody.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm told Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen gave Elfin a Skins jersey and stopped in the press room to say thanks. Bruce Boudreau said thanks to Masisak the other night. Nice gestures.

Draft saved Draft deleted