1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting prepared for Y2.01K

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Dec 29, 2009.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Tradition can kiss my ass.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I've bought batteries and bottled water. Now only if I could find my Chumbawamba CD and Kordell Stewart football cards.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I got lit pretty good that night at the pub. I ran up the tab, hoping the financial system would collapse at the stroke of midnight. No such luck.

(By the way, Jay_Farrar was there too, and maybe one or two other future SportsJournalists.commers but I'm hazy on that detail.)

I made the joke at midnight that the Russian bombs would start to fall in 20 minutes, and got scolded by some positive-thinking young lady.

4. That might have saved David Chase from a later bad idea.

5. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

dec. 31, 1999, trying to figure out what to do in a crumbling marriage and going to see widespread panic in atlanta. sweet night. dottie peoples and the peoples choice choir joined in for a few songs. my buddy worked for the thrashers and got us sweet tickets. unfortunately, my buddy died of a heart attack at 39 years old a couple of years ago. today, i have the good memories.

the night before, on the 30th, it was an interesting scene: peach bowl fans mingling with widespread pans fans outside the two venues.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I went to the National Mall on New Year's Eve 1999 for the changeover to 2000. I decided if the world ended, I wanted to be right in the middle of things.

The thing that struck me was the crowd's reaction when then-President Clinton and then-first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton were each introduced separately. In each case, the crowd booed, then started chanting Mon-ica! Mon-ica! Mon-ica!

I remember hanging out with a couple of high school students and the subject of Clinton's infidelity came up. Someone said something about being president and I said, "I'd settle for being the intern." The guy cracked up. The girl was like "aren't all the interns supposed to be female?" before she apologized.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

We had all hands on deck at the paper that night. Don't know why now, come to think of it. If the world had ended, who would have been there to read the newspaper the next morning? Oh wait, that happened anyway this decade.

8. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

Amen to that brother. As Patton Oswalt asks, "Would it really be so horrible if 90% of the fucking population were wiped out?"

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yep. It was pretty obvious by, say, 3 p.m. in the afternoon in the States that everything was going to be fine, because there weren't any problems in Australia.

Draft saved Draft deleted