1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer: He gone ... sort of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Re: Urban Meyer: He gone

If it's that meaningless, he should step aside and at least attempt to allow the focus to be on his players, rather than soak up a solid week of non-stop media fawning.

But I guess the bright side is the Tebow Bowl just became the Meyer Bowl. I'm not sure which is more nauseating.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I only break out this well-worn joke ironically in order to circumvent those who would post it and think to themselves "LOL!"

Meyer can coach the bowl but not after it because then Tebow won't be able to lay hands on him.

There, it's done, now nobody can use it. Preemptive strike.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If it isn't his typo, it likely wouldn't be the worst thing to appear on a top paper's Web site in the last hour, let alone ever.

Who needs editors? We've got some facts, some half-facts, some bullshit and some typos. Throw it all up there and let God sort it out.

4. WS

WS Member

was footballcoachscoop.com FIRST TO REPORT this news?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I like the odds of that not happening, myself, YGster.

And mb, any coach stepping up the FBS ladder is of course suspect about what he says during a courtship by a bigger program. But I would tend to trust what he says when he jumps off the top of the ladder. I suspect you're just hotwired to think everyone in sports is a liar.

And slave, there's utterly no reason he should step aside for the bowl. He's taken this team this far, no reason for him not to finish it out.

6. mb

mb Active Member

Holy crap. Copied that right off the wire.

BC-FBC-FLORIDA-MEYER-1ST-LEDE:OS — sports, xtop (650 words) Moved here at 9:46 p.m.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

What chance does Charlie Weiss have of getting this job? He's a good football guy. People still think a lot of him.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Umm ... about that.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

ESPN's Bottom Line is saying his source was Meyer himself.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Good point, deskslave

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes. Herbstreit talked to him this afternoon.

12. MrMojave

MrMojave Member

Is the cynicism warranted just yet? There's a tremendous difference between the stress of coaching his last game -- with nothing but pride on the line -- 6 days after he announced his resignation, and coaching for an entire season, knowing he essentially has to go undefeated to make the national championship, recruiting, practices, game strategy, etc. What's so implausible about a doctor saying "You just can't do this for a living anymore," and Meyer responding "What difference will one more game make?"

Draft saved Draft deleted