1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports terms that have fallen out of favor in the last 60 years

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Dec 8, 2009.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

U.P. Pow-er! (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap, clap-clap-clap, clap-clap) :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. T&C

T&C Member

In recent weeks Edmonton Oilers coach Pat Quinn mentioned to the media after a game that it was "Hudson Bay Rules" on the ice. I gather that not all reporters knew what he meant which led to a discussion by hockey researchers about the meaning and the origin of the term. Anyone who grew up playing hockey in Western Canada years ago would know that "Hudson Bay Rules" basically means no rules and the officials are letting everything go. Then a week or two after the discussion, an oldtimers player I know told me he heard a broadcaster on a game coming from the US refer to "Hudson River Rules." Bet we never hear that one for at least another 60 years.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Are Hudson River Rules radically different from Hudson Bay Rules, given that the river and the bay are nowhere near each other? :)

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I know, no outing. But ... you haven't ever worked in Northwest Georgia, have you?

And along with thinclads was cinders. The thinclads hit the cinders for the lidlifting meet of the spring.

Or something like that.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No. I first heard it used in Bennington in '95 from a late, great coach, used it often and then took it with me to other stops along the Sportswriterbahn.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They guy I heard thinclads and cinders from was the most anachronism-spewing sports writer I've known.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Never used cinders. My vernacular was enough 8)

8. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

"Raise"
    "Hiring"
    "Record profits"
    "Fully-staffed"

oh, maybe i read the thread title incorrectly.

ok....
    lug the leather to the land of six
    tote the pigskin
    3 to make 2 (anyone, anyone?)

9. Pfoosman

Pfoosman New Member

I read the words 'record profits' in a story about oil companies last quarter... And the quarter before that... And the quarter before that... And...

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I haven't been following this thread so sorry if these have been mentioned already .....

I had a former SE who was in his 60's. He had two quirky ones for soccer players -- "booters" and "soccermen." He would use them in headlines too, like "Podunk booters win big" or "Podunk soccermen in playoffs." The other staffers and I always mocked him for those and he insisted that those were common terms years ago. I'm far too youung to know .... any truth to that??

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I use booters in headlines, just to break up three or four soccer stories, but I've never have heard of soccermen. Doubt I'll begin to use it, either.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I had never seen the Dallas Cowboys referred to as "the Pokes" until I came to Dallas and saw it in headlines. I don't know if they still use it up there or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted