1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's on! Survivor 19 thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Is any former Survivor contestant no longer with us?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Interesting thing about 20, if the blogs are correct and it was filmed after 19 then Russell didn't know if he'd won or not. And nobody on 20 would have any idea of how he played, since they were on the island when 19 began airing.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Russell potentially spent 78 days almost in a row doing that shit.... No wonder he actually looked thinner at the reunion.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A few thoughts..

1. Russell couldn't have picked a worse outfit. That shirt? Ugh. And um, how bout an undershirt there, Russ, you sweaty fuck?
    2. Laura is a grandma? Also, who's the world's youngest grandma? Is this info available somewhere?
    3. Is it me or did Russell's wife look kinda like JWoww?
    4. Natalie needs to chill on the makeup.
    5. I pay way too close attention to this crap.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Natalie might be the leader in the "looked better on the island than off" category.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If they've already filmed "20" it will be like Rupert in All-Stars where you basically come back from one and head out to the next one.

7. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

My thoughts:

1. Russell lost simply because he forgot the element of human emotion. If he hadn't been so arrogant during the game and had some remorse he would have gotten enough votes to win.

2. I didn't have a problem with Natalie winning, mainly because the trend now is to not reward the best player. I had a huge problem with Sugar not winning a couple seasons ago because she outplayed everyone and didn't even get a single vote at the end. Susie did absolutely nothing yet almost won (lost by one vote to Bob). I had said then if she had won I would never watch the show again.

3. Someone get Monica a new stylist - her choice of outfits were awful. Or better yet, just keep her in a bikini 24/7.

4. I'm sick of the South Pacific. When are we going to see something like Survivor: Antarctica, or Survivor: Kerguelen Islands? The locations are getting too stale.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

she's lapped the field

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In retrospect, the vote shouldn't have been a surprise. Galu never grasped the concept of the Outwit, Outlast, Outplay. Was Natalie just a random choice? Mick was equally worthless.

If Survivor ever does another "special edition/all-stars" I really wish it would involve second chances for all of the players who were medically evacuated. Considering the caliber of most of the players who end up getting yanked and the impact their removals had on the game, you would figure it's past time to get it done.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I like the idea of Survivor: Second Chances.

I also like finding a new location. How about Survivor: USA?

They could do the gator infested lands in Florida or Louisianna, the Grand Canyon for dry locale, Detroit for a ghost town, or my choice would be Alaska for some wintery escapades.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Survivor: Zombie Island

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

1. The arrogance is a good argument. It's hard to know how arrogant he really was when it mattered, though. Obviously he was arrogant right at the start and right at the end, but between? I thought he played it pretty well after the merge. Of course he was a prick before the final tribal, but that didn't matter. The jury wasn't there for that. Maybe that was just the edit, though. People keep mentioning how being a huge a-hole bit him, but really, was he THAT bad? The sock and water thing was on Day 1. No one ever knew he did that, I assume, until the broadcast. Jeff kept saying "The most nasty survivor ever" or whatever. Really, I thought Russ started off down that path but didn't prove nearly as nasty as he could have. At some point I decided a lot of that was CBS marketing.

2. Not sure I agree with No. 2. JT, last season's winner, I thought was the most deserved. Hell, I think the other people he was in the final tribal with would have voted for him if they could have. (Ditto on Russell, actually. That might have been a good argument to get rid of Mick and Natalie: they were his best friends and would have been sure votes on the jury). I don't remember Sugar dominating that season the way you say. Looking back, I remember being happy Bob won, but I can't remember why. I know she didn't mastermind things in as clear cut a way as Russell did, though. Most of the winners in the seasons right before that: Todd the flight attendant, Yul, Earl ... they all were obvious choices who made all the big moves and controlled the game.

3. I thought she looked her absolute best at the final tribal.

4. I agree, but seems like I read before that they've decided it really works best in a tropical, island setting. That said, they have gotten around quite a bit in the last couple of years. Before these last two (20 and the just finished 19) which were both in Samoa, three of the previous four were not on islands: Brazilian Rain forest, Gabon and China.

Draft saved Draft deleted