1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS Under Fire...Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Jul 7, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I hope this isn't a d_b. If so, feel free to nuke, Mods.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4311694

Thought I'd just post this one, too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/06/30/senate-bcs.ap/index.html

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not a big proponent of the "Doesn't Congress have more important things to do" line of thinking but doesn't Congress have more important things to do right now?

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This looks so serious, ESPN or Fox might sign another 10 year extension with the BCS.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If Congress really wanted a playoff, they could force the NCAA into it with a one page bill that mandates a football playoff or all federal funds to the member universities are withheld. Anything else is just grandstanding.

6. Crash

Crash Active Member

And they would get absolutely ripped for it in the court of public opinion. As much as people seem to want a playoff, I think Americans would be pretty pissed off right now if Congress was spending time talking college football instead of trying to get people back to work.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Playoffs would actually PUT MORE PEOPLE TO WORK!

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

if you sue the bcs for antitrust violations, you're suing the mountain west conference, mr. brett.

9. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

am i missing something? the mountain west isn't in the bcs.

10. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

yes they are. as are all 11 conferences in FBS.

11. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

well, ok, the 11 conferences are bowl eligible to be in BCS bowls, but only six and notre dame have any consistent shot (usually one non-bcs school gets a spot, this year two) at the big bows with tie-ins. plus, you can sue your employer, so why not sue the bcs, which is controlled by the big conferences?

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Legislation directed at one organization or entity is unconstitutional, as the ACORN fiasco proved.

Draft saved Draft deleted