1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the party's over.....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

This will not end well.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1004054045

2. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

only 25%? I think I expected more...

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

With regard to this paragraph:

The Employment Projections Summary examines the expected job loss or gain for each industry between 2008, the last year for which data is available, and 2018. Newspapers rank seventh among the top 10 industries slated for job losses.

I wonder what the top-losing industry on this list is.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You guys look at the glass and say it will be 25 percent empty and I say it will be 75 percent full (but I still probably won't get hired at the Plain Dealer).

5. Oscar Madison

Oscar Madison Member

Are these writing jobs? I would think a lot of them would be prepress and pressroom as many papers are going online only.

6. spud

spud Member

It's not like we're in the medical field, but this is speculative bullshit.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I think most newspapers are learning to adapt, and I see a future in this biz just a difference in how the news is delivered.

The most encouraging part of this thread is that this is a federal study, and I wouldn't trust the government to pick up my trash correctly.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

How much has it gone down in the last 18 months, percentage-wise?

9. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

I'm guessing this will be the final 25 percent, since the first 75 percent has been flushed away.

Draft saved Draft deleted