1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Austin American-Statesman staffers get bonus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Dec 15, 2009.

1. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

It's not clear why you'd assume that all sportswriters, even all sportswriters in Austin, are Christians. Some of them might be enjoying other religious holidays, or none at all. (In other words, it's not a Christmas bonus.)

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe it's a Festivus bonus.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Nice...where do I send my resume and clips???

Seriously...good to hear it's working at least in some spots.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Here's another:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/dec/15/telegraph-brings-back-christmas-bonus

5. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

It's called having your hometown football team go 13-0 so the newspapers fly off the shelf with people wanting to read about it.

6. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

The reason Austin is making money, or at least has enough money to hand out bonus, is as follows:

The Internets haven't arrived there yet.
    ;D

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

C'mon...we all know advertising pushes our money across the table...selling a few extra copies of the paper during a playoff run makes a minimal impact. I'm guessing this has more to do with creative work in production and advertising and smart cost-cutting moves. Well done Austin...share your secret with the rest of us :)

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I knew a few guys in high school that worked at grocery store part of a regional chain. They worked minimum wage type jobs, but got great Christmas bonuses every year. At least a few hundred bucks.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For just a split second, out of the corner of my eye, I thought the thread hed was Austin American-Statesman stiffies get boners.

10. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

When they get their checks, they will.

11. The Statesman is one of the best at being innovative online. It doesn't shock me at all that they are doing better than most at the bottom line as well.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I got an extra week's pay at my first stop, a small weekly paper. I've never gotten anything else that came close to matching it percentage-wise or dollar-wise.

Draft saved Draft deleted