1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Documentary on "The U" of Miami Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but Holy shit does Bernie Kosar look and sound terrible now.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

College football needs a villain and Miami was that for so many years and it was great for the game.

I guess Florida is that now, not that it's even remotely close to the way Miami was back in the day.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

One player pops off -- and that means the entire team gets to act like assholes and set bounties on the heads of other players and dance when they knock someone's head off?

Give me a fucking break.

There is no excuse, none, for the way Miami acted that day or for most of the late 1980's and 1990's.

And the Miami team in like 2001 or 2002 whatever fucking year it was proved they could be a dominant team and NOT act like assholes.

And the worst part is, these knuckleheads are sitting around waxing poetic about their bad boy days.

Shit the only thing that was missing from that thing was few 40's and blunts and dominoes - which is the image they were going for as oldheads or more accurate -- OGs

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree, Zag. Getting all preachy about it will not resolve what happened.

I didn't like Miami's act then as a kid, but I had to watch it again last night for shits and giggles.

Sorry, Zag, Texas got what they deserved.

Another point I likes was on how the media slammed them after the Canes pummelled ND. For all of the ass-whippings that ND, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and USC to name a few inflicted on their opponents in the past, the media bitching about what Miami did to Gerry Faust was laughable.
    If you don't want Randal Hill, Russell Maryland, and the rest to go 2 Live Crew on your old-school anti-ghetto ass, stop them and outplay them.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Lamar Thomas has been arrested at least twice, including for attacking his pregnant fiancee with a deadly weapon, with his young son present for good measure.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They were negligent in glossing over the Maryland game in 1984. I believe the score was 31-0 at the half. Only 13 days later, Flutie threw the ball through the rain. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that very few teams have sustained consecutive defeats like those. That team finished 8-5. The next eight Hurricane clubs won 10 or more games apiece.

7. zagoshe

No, actually Miami got what it deserved - which was a reputation as a bunch of assholes, followed by probation and the fall of an empire. That game, more than any other - even the "we're in Gi Joe uniforms to look bad" Penn State game -- brought to light what a bunch of dickheads that operation was.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The President of Miami - Tad Foote tried to fix the problem during The Johnson era but did not get board support. The "documentary" compared Foote to Dean Wormer.

" The U" was entertainment and nothing more. There is nothing to celebrate about a college football program that was a breeding ground for criminals.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Again, if you were there you'd know you don't know what the fuck you're talking about regarding what happened that week.

It wasn't just one kid. Thomas happened to be the most vocal but was certainly not the only one who popped off. Russell Maryland made Thomas his bitch on game day. It was pretty funny to watch.

10. zagoshe

Again, you can keep telling us all how "you were there" and trying to play that "I'm so important" card but it doesn't change a fucking thing --- Texas could have fucked all the girlfriends and mothers of the Hurricanes on youtube and it still would not have justified the way they acted, not even a little.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think fucking their moms & girlfriends might justify it but I could be wrong...

Not sure it was justified but it was funny as hell to watch though. Texas just flat out quit.

And I'm only mentioning the fact I was there to point out that you, as is the norm, don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

12. Turfburger

Turfburger Member

I'll chime in that the 30-30s make for excellent television.

When Miami played at Cal in 1990, I spotted in the booth for ABC. Every big play (offense and defense) was Dance Fever.

Later that week, the late Bruce Snyder of Cal voiced his displeasure in a letter to then Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen. I'll never forget the last line that he wrote.

"I pray to God that I never have to play a team like that again.''

Draft saved Draft deleted