1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 sj.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POLL PG 25!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 13, 2009.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Rumple4skin, GB Hack, Hammer pnts -- HELLO!

I just thought I'd post my preseason Top 10 which looks absolutely nothing like what the one I sent to Slappy l this weekend does (TCU, my No. 1 now, was ranked 21):

1. Florida
    2. Oklahoma
    3. USC
    4. Texas
    5. Bama
    6. Georgia
    7. Oklahoma State
    8. Ohio State
    9. V-Tech
    10. Ole Miss

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Final Regular Season, 12/7/09 Page 24

Dec. 7, 2009

Are we not men? We are Tebow!

By SLAPPY 4428
    Paranoid? Too Much Paranoia

We’ve all seen this scene before. It’s a holiday meal with the family; relatives come from all over to sup at table.

There are too many people to comfortable sit at one table, so the youngest group gets relegated to the kiddie table. It doesn’t matter how old the oldest of the youngest is, they’re still part of the kiddie table.

And that, boys and girls, is the holiday dinner with the BCS as far as Boise State and TCU are concerned – good enough to come to the meal, but when it comes to sharing, they’re sitting with the rest of the group that still use sippie cups and has Mommy cut their meat.

On one hand, it’s nice to see that the BCS invited both schools to partake in their special party – of course, it was helped by the dearth of talented teams and the potential for a national backlash not seen since New Coke.

On the other, the BCS showed it’s still a closed shop by not having them play one of the big teams, instead of each other. Again.

For this, we can blame Utah which slapped around the Moping Tide last season, thereby putting the fear of David into Goliath.

This year, Moping has become dominating and the Tide deserve their place in the BCS title game. Texas, maybe not so much. If the Shorthorns can get pushed around by Nebraska – which is to football in the last five years what Michigan will be in the next five – why did they deserve a spot in the title game?

Answer: They didn’t. Not with three other undefeated teams still in the hunt.

I shook my head in amazement this week, when reading some snapshots from the latest in college football on line this morning.

The pom-pon waving writer crowed about how an Alabama-Texas final reminds us again that the BCS can work. A few grafs later, the writer mentioned that Boise State has had four perfect seasons in six years with two different head coaches.

So if that’s the case, how did the BCS work other than to put the big conferences in the big seats at the big table? An undefeated team that has a proven record of success is left out of the title game, while undefeated Texas – which staggered around the field like the Mack Brown teams of old – goes in?

Cincinnati plays in a BCS conference, went undefeated and had a far more thrilling end to its season than Texas did. Now playing Florida and another chance to see Tim Tebow partake in the Crying Game once again is the second-best gig they could get. But it ain’t right.

So come Jan. 8 (a date closer to seeing pitchers and catchers report than the end of football’s regular season), we could see as many as three undefeated teams – all of whom can rightfully claim the No. 1 spot.

Only one of them will get the crown, but all of them deserve an equal shot.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    12/07/2009
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Alabama (27) 795 3
    2. TCU (5) 753 4
    3. Texas 741 2
    4. Boise State 687 5
    5. Cincinnati 681 6
    6. Florida 644 1
    7. Oregon 602 7
    8. Ohio State 585 8
    9. Georgia Tech 500 10
    10. Iowa 469 9
    11. Virginia Tech 452 11
    12. Penn State 431 12
    13. LSU 384 14
    14. Miami (Fla.) 365 16
    15. Brigham Young 333 17
    16. Pitt 326 13
    17. Oregon St. 262 15
    18. Oklahoma St. 215 22
    19. West Virginia 203 24
    20. Stanford 190 20
    21 Nebraska 153 20
    22. Utah 139 25
    23. Arizona 129 NR
    24. Wisconsin 109 NR
    25. Central Michigan 82 NR

Also receiving votes: Houston 35, Clemson 32, East Carolina 27, USC 20, Mississippi 19, Northwestern 13, Cal 7, Texas Tech 7, Navy 4, Troy 3, Ohio 2.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, Agate Page, Azom, Bubbler BYH, Della9250, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Ishouldcoco, Jesus Muscatel, Joe Schmoe, KYsportswriter, Layman, Madhavok, Matt1735, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Piotr Rasputin, Popedirkbenedict, Precious Roy, Red Smith Clone, Rumpleforeskin, spnited, Starman, Stormsurge, Sxysptswrtr,Trooper Bari, WS, Songbird. Not voting: GB-Hack, Hammer Pants.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Final Regular Season, 12/7/09 Page 24

Which two names in the voting list are sportschick sock puppets? That would be the only way to explain the two votes for Ohio. Or...shudder...the one 24th-place vote.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One 24th place vote.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wisconsin in the final poll ... I love it!

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Final regular season poll... they'll have plenty of time to disappear after the bowls...

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Glad to see everybody jumped ship with Texas. Didn't the Horns have seven top votes a week ago?

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I had nothing to do with the Ohio votes!!!!!!!!!!! Stan might have though. You should ask him.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. The one year she isn't in -- by her own name. Go figure...

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So when's my final ballot due again?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Final poll is due Noon CT on Friday, Jan. 8.
    If you do not vote, you will not be back next year.
    Every year, we lose 10 voters who A) didn't know we were doing a final poll (HELLO!!!) and/or B) didn't know what the deadline was....

Noon CT Friday Jan 8. No exceptions.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POLL INFO FOR VOTERS -- PG 24!!!!

OK Dad. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted