1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Reaffirmation That I'm In The Wrong Business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 4, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They can be. It just tends not to be in fields where there's a dozen qualified applicants for every job.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm happy I'm healthy and do not need help to breathe oxygen in my lungs and do not need a wheelchair to go from place to place.

Some people just realize what's really important. And a $2,000 Christmas bonus ain't it.

BTW, there is not a bank teller job in the country that can come close to my salary or my 5 weeks' vacation.

So no, bank tellers do not have it better than all of us.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've been at the same place for 13 years.
    At one time, they printed money here.
    Other than for two competitive situations, I've received two raises and I'm 0-for-my-last-6.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I got a 26 cent raise this year. But not until the fourth quarter. I'm still making $2.50 per hour less than my last job. Oh, I was also furloughed twice this year.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yes! I was just making this exact point to a friend who works worked for the Rocky Mountain News.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I just don't agree with this.
    I told you I'm doing a job where I'm working 20 to 30 hours overtime every week and not getting paid for that. I am contributing items that go in the newspaper and on the website on a breakneck speed basis. I simply am not thankful for the fact they are paying me.
    -- I got furloughed.
    -- I don't get overtime.
    -- I have had salary frozen.
    -- Their product is better because of me.
    Yes hundreds of others would take my place. Big fucking deal.

I am thankful for, desperately thankful for ...
    my health.
    my kids.
    my wife.
    my god.
    my faith.
    my volunteer opportunities
    my friends

I just am not thankful that some MFs are paying me because I am giving them a product in return. I can't be thankful for bastards who are pretty much treating everybody in the sports department like shit. And yes people like me. You think I bitch like this around others? This is what message boards are for.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

If it's really so terrible, just quit.

That's what the folks at my shop do.

8. Seriously. I'm quite thankful that I have a job, especially one that I love. I could have a job I hate or no job at all right now. I've got no right whatsoever to complain.

Fredrick, if you aren't thankful for the job you have, which you aren't, you really should just quit and find one you will be thankful to have.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I never know if BTExpress is rubbing it in, or attempting to spread hope among the masses.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And if you stopped working those extra hours . . . what then?

They'd fire you? Lay you off? Give you a below average performance review because "Frederick did not work 20-30 hours for free." ?

Are you looking for work elsewhere? If not, why the hell not?

Not much for rubbing it in, since I'm one Zell ax swing from landing in the unemployment line myself (thank Tebow the first two swings missed me). But do get tired of the bellyaching from those with steady jobs. Nobody's forcing you to work in a place that demands 60-70 hours of labor for 40 hours of pay.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I've been at my place 12 years in January. I got a raise after the first year, and not a dime since.
    The overtime I put in while on the baseball beat was legendary. The overtime I'm putting in now, doing things no other reporter is doing - video, photos, tons of blogging, along with everything else - makes that pale.

Nobody's forcing me to do it. I don't know if it will mean the difference in keeping my job or not. I do it because I don't want to look back and say, I could have done more, it might have made a difference.

Plus, I enjoy what I do. And yes, I'm happy to have a job. So shoot me.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Easy solution: You walk into the office and tell them Fredrick says they should be damn glad to have you. That will take care of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted